Need advice on new Macbook purchase

spareshoota

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I am definitely buying a MacBook; I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad w/ Retina display and know that a Mac is best for me. The problem is that I don't know which one to get. Here are the things that I would be doing with it:

-Running Microsoft Office Excel spreadsheets (not complicated)
-Editing small movies
-Editing pictures
-Running windows-based software
-Learning how to make apps
-Managing iTunes library (have all music on external harddrive)

Funds are not unlimited, so I have to really think about this. I am going to the Apple Store Thursday and my current choices are:

MacBook Air $1,199
MacBook Pro $1,299
MacBook Pro $1,499

My thought process is the following: as much as I'd like to save some money, this laptop is replacing the one that just died, so I should probably spend a little more to get the better processor and memory. (OBV if I had all the money in the world, I'd take a 13" MacBook Pro and beef everything up). What I don't know is how much of a difference in performance I will see between:

1.3Ghz i5 vs 2.4GHz i5
4GB memory vs. 8GB memory

I don't expect either machine to be "slow" when compared to my old laptop (a POS dell), but I don't want to handicap myself.

Additionally, what is your opinion on AppleCare? For $249 and 3 years of coverage, is it worth it for someone like me who treats his computers like babies? Could I get away with NOT buying AppleCare and should I even consider doing that? Thanks in advance everyone!

spareshoota

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
But do you think 8GB is sufficient? I kinda need this computer before the weekend and if I customize it, I dont think I'll have it on time.

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
"and only extends the warranty"

AppleCare doesn't just extend the warranty. It also extends the toll-free tech support you can receive from Apple from 90 days to three full years. This may not be a big deal to many self-sufficient Mac users, but Apple's phone support is phenomenal, and something that can be truly helpful for someone switching to the Mac from another platform. You can call them any time day or night, 365 days a year, and talk with someone about anything related to the Mac's operation or the software that comes on it.

But Karen's absolutely right - AppleCare can be purchased any time within the first year of ownership, so there's no rush to do it on day one if funds are an issue.

Peter Cohen

iMore staff
Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Everything you've discussed is well within the realm of what an 8 GB machine should be able to handle. 16 GB might be helpful if you were running apps that have big memory footprints, like professional video editing software, multi-track music recording and audio engineering software, or pro image editing apps, but sounds more like general use stuff, which will be fine.

Regarding Air vs. Pro, the tradeoff is weight and all-day battery life vs. power. The Pro has a beefier processor and faster graphics.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Did you get Applecare? It really is worth it. If there's any craziness going on, you can make a Genius Bar appt and almost everything is covered, save for damage.

mattipar

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi I am wanting to buy a 13 inch Mac book pro with retina display. I don't know a lot about computers so I was wondering if I should get 8 or 4 GB and if I should get 2.4GHz or some thing else. I want to use it to play minecraft and I want to use photoshop on it too. So which model should I get? Would it be worth it to get a 15 inch?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
For the price difference I'd definitely opt into the 2.4GHz and 8GB of memory. You intend to keep it awhile correct? Investing a little more now will go a long way when it comes to future updates and compatibility.

As for Apple Care, it's a very costly laptop right? I'd always say it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Just my opinion!

Good luck. 😁

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?