Installing SSD and data doubler to Late 2008 15" Macbook Pro

freeinc

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I am looking to add a SSD to my late 2008 Macbook Pro. I will be moving the current 750 GB to the superdrive location. I have replaced hard drives before and have restored from backup using time machine without any issues.

I am running VM Ware Fusion as well. How will I set up the new SSD? Will I be able to leverage the existing backup or will I need to do a fresh install of Mavericks including VMWare on the new SSD drive?

thanks...

freeinc

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I guess that is one way to accomplish what I need to do which avoids re-installing the Mac OS and VMWare Fusion. I will have to deal with linking my large iTunes and iPhoto libraries later since they will end up going back on the 750 GB drive. The concept makes sense, I just need to come up with a step by step plan. Maybe it will be something like this...

1) Back up current setup to time machine. (I'll retain this backup just in case I want to return to the stand alone 750 GB drive later.
2) Using new external drive, move all user data from the 750 GB drive to the new one. This includes all personal files, documents, iPhoto and iTunes libraries, etc. I have probably 550 GB or so of data here.
3) Back up current setup (which has been reduced in size from step 2 above) to time machine. The 750 GB drive should now be small enough to fit on new SSD drive.
4) Install new SSD drive and relocate 750 GB drive to the Super drive location using data doubler kit.
5) Using time machine, restore backup from step 3 to SSD drive.
6) Reformat 750 GB drive ???
7) Move data from step 2 to newly formatted 750 GB drive.
8) Link iPhoto and iTunes libraries from the 750 GB using the applications themselves ???
9) Backup SSD drive and 750 GB drive to time machine ??? (not sure if I can use time machine on the 750 GB drive now.)

Thoughts? Suggestions? I am not sure about steps 6, 8 and 9.

Thanks...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox