Brand new rMBP 13' or 15' 2012 Refurb?

ahyp

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I am a virtualization/computer engineer using this as a personal and/work laptop with the following VMs:

VM 1: Windows 7 x64
Uses: Office 2013, Lightweight Internet Surfing

VM 2: Windows 7 x64
Uses: Dummy VM for when I need to VPN into client systems to use RDP to servers/etc.

Bootcamp: Windows 8.1 for Gaming (lightweight gaming, super old games from GOG.com. Nothing new, maybe elder scrolls online)

OSX: Maybe elder scrolls online, Photoshop, Dreamweaver

I would be using VMware fusion 6 professional.
I would be using Windows 7 at the highest (retina) resolution possible (it doesn't hurt my eyes, if so I can increased DPI)
Gaming is an afterthought as I have an Xbox One.

These would be the stats of the computers I would be looking at:

NEW rMBP 13'
Dual Core i5
Iris Graphics
8GB Ram
256GB SSD
Total Price after Tax: $1517

REFURBISHED rMPB 15'
Quad Core i7
HD 4000 Graphics
650M Card (sucks for VMs, optimus technology and virtual drivers don't translate well)
8GB Ram
256GB SSD
Total Price after Tax: $1760

I am coming from the PC world and I don't really want to pay more than 1500$ for a computer and I don't really want to pay for a refurbished computer, I want it new, but I am scared that if I buy the 13 inch rMPB I will be unhappy with the extra performance I could have gained from the quad core CPU.

What do you guys think? Most of my work is done through RDP or Citrix (ICA) sessions, so a lot of the power required on the computer would be solely for running the OS and RDP apps, and office 2013.

Thanks,
ahyp:love-struck:

ahyp

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I was able to find a used MBP with those stats on eBay for the same price as a new 2013. Makes deciding a little more difficult. If the battery cycle and serial number are good, what do you guys think?

ahyp

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The Apple store will treat you no different than any other customer. Their customer service is top notch. If you are getting an Apple refurbished Mac then you should get Apple's standard warranty. They stand behind their products. If buying used from eBay obviously you won't have a warranty.

Great news. The used one I found has an applecare plan good for the next two years anyways.

Question: If I test the SSD/RAM/GPU/etc and it is not up to speed or has issues, can I take it to the apple store for a free repair? Even if the laptop is working, but there is a problem with hardware tests etc (Using Apple Hardware Test) would they replace for free?

Thanks!!!

ahyp

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
If it comes with AppleCare then you should be good to go. I have no idea what they would do if it's working but fails some sort of hardware test. In general though they will repair the MacBook rather than replace if there is a problem.

Okay, just found out battery cycle is ~100. Now, I wonder if it's worth it? Apparently, AppleCare was used to replace the screen (this september) - do 2012 rMBPs have screen issues?
This is such a tough choice.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner