I just bought my 13" rMBP, I figure you guys can help my dilemma

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Warning, first world problems incoming....okay, so I have 128GB hard drive on my rMBP being the base model. It would seem my PC has more than that or I'm at the limit already. With my music in FLAC it takes up 83.5GB of space, I have about 15GB of movies in mp4's, and I'll need space for other things (I assume downloads from the Mac App Store use this memory as well?). So basically transferring everything I have, as it is, is out of the question. My music I need transferred period so I can sync my iPhone with my rMBP, I think I can start syncing my iPad with it as it has no music, just apps and I've transferred purchases from both my iPad and iPhone to my rMBP. I've already decided my work files, even though small, will go into SkyDrive. I'll have to download Steam for Mac and install my two games via that. Basically, I'm asking what should be the priority for my transferring? Or the best way to do so? I'm having trouble installing the newest version of iTunes on my PC, there is no old version to open and when there was, it was met with an error, it keeps telling me I'm missing a file. Assuming I get iTunes running on my PC again, would the transfer client transfer all my music from iTunes on my PC over to iTunes on my MAC as Apple says it should? The music is the biggest issue for me really, my iPhone is currently my music listening device. Should I keep both my rMBP and PC for separate purposes?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get iTunes functioning on my PC again, the new update is causing issues. I had home sharing on, I think it only transfers purchased music, of my ~3,000 songs, I've only bought one from iTunes, the rest I already had or have CD's for. I would like to try the Migration Assistant, but that's not an option until after I get iTunes working again. Found a link that will help with that as well.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I read elsewhere about the issue on windows... Darned if I can find it again now... But basically, the deal was to uninstall all of the windows Apple apps via Windows control panel and reinstall them... Rather a drastic, shotgun approach but it gets the job done.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I deleted all that would delete, went to iTunes download via main iTunes page and it's working, Home Sharing is working and I'm currently importing my 23 movies. I had to tell iTunes to import them all manually though, the mass import button on the bottom of iTunes is grayed out.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Figured it out, still learning OSX, had to actually highlight them first, I'm used to Windows check marks counting for that, at least I can finally start importing stuff and then syncing my iPad and iPhone with my rMBP.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
You might want to consider keeping your iTunes library and associated edit on a separate USB drive. You should be able to pick up 1 TB for around $100. Granted it's something else to keep with you though.

Yeah, I've been wanting to get an external hard drive for a while, maybe I can store other things there. ~3K songs and between movies, books, and apps, it's currently syncing ~225 things.