How long does it take to delete a Mac user profile?

bgriff25

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I got a MBP last weekend, my first Mac product. A few days later I decided to do the migration assistant so that I could get pictures and files off my 5 year old PC. This created a new user profile. Once I realized that I didn't need the majority of the stuff from the PC and I would just transfer select files over a little at a time I went to delete that user profile. I started the process about 3 hours ago and it's still deleting the old profile. Can anyone tell me how long I can expect this process to take?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the data that was transferred. I'd say it might take a long time if you had a lot of data. Some people end up waiting days for it to be done.

bgriff25

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the data that was transferred. I'd say it might take a long time if you had a lot of data. Some people end up waiting days for it to be done.
I can't imagine waiting days to delete, but maybe you're right. After I realized that the memory was freed up in storage I just force quit the application and restarted my Mac. Everything seems to be fine, now comes the task of selectively transferring over what I want.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I am on my first iMac and have a question about this.

I am the only one that uses this computer but I have three user profiles:
-One with my name and icon that I chose and I use exclusively as my "active" one.
-One with my first name only and a Dell icon-I migrated from a Dell. I don't ever log onto this one.

Can I delete the Dell one? Will this free up memory? Admittedly I did not know what I was doing setting this up and migrating. I don't want to delete the Dell one then lose data on my active one.

bgriff25

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I am on my first iMac and have a question about this.

I am the only one that uses this computer but I have three user profiles:
-One with my name and icon that I chose and I use exclusively as my "active" one.
-One with my first name only and a Dell icon-I migrated from a Dell. I don't ever log onto this one.

Can I delete the Dell one? Will this free up memory? Admittedly I did not know what I was doing setting this up and migrating. I don't want to delete the Dell one then lose data on my active one.

If you delete the Dell acct. you will lose everything that you migrated over from that PC. It will not delete anything from your other (active) profile. When I used migration assistant to get the stuff off of my old PC I had the same thing happen. I chose to delete the migrated profile and now I'm in the process of selectively bringing files over via usb flash drive. The problem I had was it seemed to take forever, 4+ hours, to delete the migrated profile and once I knew the storage was freed up form the profile I was deleting I just force quit out.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Everything I need is in my active profile so if I delete the Dell one I'll be OK? Does my active profile access the files in the Dell one-are they shared? If I delete something in Dell I won't have it in active anymore?

I must have double migrated or something.

Another question-I am using Time Capsule-are all the profiles stored there or just the active one? If it is all of them I can delete the Dell and if it is a problem I can just restore.

bgriff25

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Everything I need is in my active profile so if I delete the Dell one I'll be OK? Does my active profile access the files in the Dell one-are they shared? If I delete something in Dell I won't have it in active anymore?

I must have double migrated or something.

Another question-I am using Time Capsule-are all the profiles stored there or just the active one? If it is all of them I can delete the Dell and if it is a problem I can just restore.

I have only been using a Mac for about 2 weeks so I can only comment on my own experience. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Doug Sinbad

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
i had same problem, started deleting an acc, 12 hours later it was still deleting, MBP wouldn't shut down bec sys pref still tasking, did force quit. sorted, come on apple sort it out

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit