Hi guys,

I know that ther is quite similar thread to mines but I need your opinion. I wanto buy a new member to my Apple family. I own iPad Air, iPhone 5 16gb and iPod Shuffle. It's time to finally buy a MacBook. I have two options (these are the only options so please dont say about any different models). These options are: the new 13-inch MacBook Air from 2013 and 13- inch MacBook Pro Non-Retina from 2012. I will use the computer to basic stuff and mainly to editing and writing documents. All of all I need realy fast computer to handle main tasks.
    11-29-2013 11:40 AM
    Hi there,

Of those two choices I would choose the 2013 Macbook Air without question. You mentioned 2013 so I assume this is the Hasswell Model? With the latest model macbook air you get great performance, portability in a slim package. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro (Non Retina) that I passed down to the kids, I compared it directly with the Macbook Air (Haswell) and the Air destroyed my 2012 Macbook Pro in every category minus processor benchmarks however they were very close. So again for me, I recommend the Macbook Air! ... Now if it were a non haswell Macbook Air this would be a tougher question as the Macbook Pro albeit heavier would have a performance advantage.
    kataran likes this.
    11-29-2013 11:58 AM
    Hi there,

Of those two choices I would choose the 2013 Macbook Air without question. You mentioned 2013 so I assume this is the Hasswell Model? With the latest model macbook air you get great performance, portability in a slim package. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro (Non Retina) that I passed down to the kids, I compared it directly with the Macbook Air (Haswell) and the Air destroyed my 2012 Macbook Pro in every category minus processor benchmarks however they were very close. So again for me, I recommend the Macbook Air! ... Now if it were a non haswell Macbook Air this would be a tougher question as the Macbook Pro albeit heavier would have a performance advantage.
    Please expelling further. I have a mid 2012 macbook pro and upgraded to 16 mg which is great overall experience
    12-01-2013 11:55 AM
    I have the a early 2012 macbook pro and the reasons I went with the older one is one I brought it that year lol. two CD player. 3. when you push the button on the side it tells you the battery lever in green lights love that. I know the new macs dont have that..

Hi guys,

I know that ther is quite similar thread to mines but I need your opinion. I wanto buy a new member to my Apple family. I own iPad Air, iPhone 5 16gb and iPod Shuffle. It's time to finally buy a MacBook. I have two options (these are the only options so please dont say about any different models). These options are: the new 13-inch MacBook Air from 2013 and 13- inch MacBook Pro Non-Retina from 2012. I will use the computer to basic stuff and mainly to editing and writing documents. All of all I need realy fast computer to handle main tasks.
    12-01-2013 05:51 PM
    Hi guys,

You did not mention the specs for the 2012 Non-Retina (flash or physical hard drive, RAM), but I had a 2012 Non-Retina that I upgraded to 16Gb of RAM and it was plenty fast for all of the operations I needed (business purposes and personal music and photo editing). A 2012 Non-Retina with the flash memory and maximum RAM would be quite an impressive machine. While the Air will be more portable (less weight) if you are not planning on transporting that would not be an issue.
    12-02-2013 06:17 AM
    Hi guys,

Yeah i forgot about the specs for macbook air:
    Item Weight 1.4 Kg
    Product Dimensions 43 x 34 x 12.4 cm
    Batteries: 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)
    Item model number MD760B/A
    Color Silver
    Form Factor UltraThin
    Screen Size 13.3 inches
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Type Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed 1.3 GHz
    Processor Count 2
    RAM Size 4 GB
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Size 128 GB
    Graphics Card Description Intel HD Graphics 5000
    Graphics RAM Type SDRAM
    Wireless Type 802.11A, 802.11B, 802.11G, 802.11n
    Power Source AC
    Operating System Mac OS X
    Average Battery Life (in hours) 12 hours
    Lithium Battery Energy Content 35 watt_hours

And for macbook pro:

Item Weight 2.1 Kg
    Product Dimensions 22.7 x 32.5 x 2.4 cm
    Item model number MD101B/A
    Color Aluminium silver
    Form Factor Portable
    Screen Size 13.3 inches
    Processor Brand Intel
    Processor Type Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed 2.5 GHz
    Processor Count 2
    RAM Size 4 GB
    Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM
    Hard Drive Size 500 GB
    Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA
    Graphics Card Description Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Wireless Type 802.11A, 802.11B, 802.11G, 802.11n
    Hardware Platform Laptop
    Operating System Mac OS X
    Average Battery Life (in hours) 7 hours

I would order them from amazon so now upgrading of the features is possible unless i would take the pro. However i know that the new air has haswell processor. I want a computer that will be fast and last long for day to day usage no gaming or hard programming
    12-03-2013 04:46 AM
    Based on that I would use the MBA. I have both. I like the rMBP better for me. The weight and battery difference isn't enough for me to keep the MBA so I am selling it in damn near new condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse
    12-03-2013 12:26 PM
    But that one is non retina version
    12-03-2013 02:14 PM
    Hi guys,

For your workload the Air should be more than enough. While the CPU is not as fast, the disk is really fast. It is probably 6X as fast as the hard drive in the Macbook Pro. This means much faster boot, and application and document launch. The Airs feel real snappy.
    12-03-2013 08:25 PM