So, right now I'm deciding between the 13 inch retina Mac book pro or the 13 MacBook Air. I'm not sure on configurations yet, but I'm trying to decide which is best for my needs. So I'd love to get the feedback of those who use the retina MacBook Pro.

See, what I'm going to be using this computer for web, email, word processing, school work, video watching, and just things that are better to do on a computer. I'm not going to be doing video editing or photo editing.

However, I'm not sure how I'd feel not getting a retina display at this point. I'm so used to it on my phone and ipad. And the base model retina pro isn't that much more than the top of the line 13 inch MacBook Air.

And I may do light gaming, but I do that on my consoles anyway. So it's not really a primary factor.

What do you guys think? Would I be better off with a air? Or is the pro worth it just for the display? What say you?
    11-14-2013 02:50 AM
    Either would be fine. The Air would work great. It's smaller and lighter. Great battery life. Those few hundred dollars difference in price can pay for AppleCare+
    Fausty82 likes this.
    11-14-2013 04:10 AM
    11-14-2013 08:57 AM
    11-14-2013 09:51 AM
    Either would be fine. The Air would work great. It's smaller and lighter. Great battery life. Those few hundred dollars difference in price can pay for AppleCare+
    I'd imagine I'd really like using that retina screen, though.

And yes cardfan, I'm a indecisive person. Sue me.
    11-14-2013 12:23 PM
    11-14-2013 12:28 PM
    Having owned both I would have to recommend the rMBP if it's within your budget. Not only is the screen amazing, I prefer the feeling of the keys as well they have a slightly deeper travel. Speakers sound amazing on both however the rMBP has a tad more bass. Both are easy to carry however trust me when I tell you that you may have Retina envy if you come across someone else sitting next to you with the improved screen. Ultimately it's all up to your personal budget, both machines are very capable and will accomplish what you need to do. For me, I just love the rMBP so much more than the 13inch MBA that I had prior.
    11-14-2013 12:36 PM
    Having owned both I would have to recommend the rMBP if it's within your budget. Not only is the screen amazing, I prefer the feeling of the keys as well they have a slightly deeper travel. Speakers sound amazing on both however the rMBP has a tad more bass. Both are easy to carry however trust me when I tell you that you may have Retina envy if you come across someone else sitting next to you with the improved screen. Ultimately it's all up to your personal budget, both machines are very capable and will accomplish what you need to do. For me, I just love the rMBP so much more than the 13inch MBA that I had prior.
    Which configuration of the rMBP do you have? Is the base model good enough?
    11-14-2013 03:15 PM
    For your stated uses, yes.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    11-14-2013 03:23 PM
    I have the $1499 model which has the 8 gigs of ram and 256 gig SSD. However the base model should be more than enough for your needs.
    11-14-2013 03:38 PM
    For your stated uses, yes.
    Agreed. Really, a base model MacBook Air would be enough for your stated uses. I have an '09 MacBook Pro, base model 13", running OS X Mavericks, with a upgrade to 8gb of RAM I installed earlier this year... and it makes quick work of any of the usage you've described. That's running the old, baby 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo chip.

A brand new MacBook Air, with the Intel 4th gen Core i5 Haswell chip, would breeze through pretty much anything my setup can, and more.
    11-14-2013 05:57 PM
    I do love to complain about the price tag on the rMBP but I don't really believe the prices on the 13'' MBPs are out of line or price it out of the range of making it worth it for casual or light use. Big drawback of the old model is that it has a rather ghetto 1280x800 resolution (where's my 1440x900? Well, maybe on an older 15'' MBP that you can still get Apple Certified sometimes). Baseline of the 13'' rMBP is a good price. High resolutions simply cost a lot more money, whether you're paying the Apple premium or not. One drawback is the rMBP is not aftermarket upgradeable and that 4 GB of RAM might start to feel a little slow over the life of your computer. I would personally take the 128 GB of flash storage as it will give your machine AMAZING performance and if you end up with a lot of extra junk you want to store, you'll get fine performance out of an external drive if you're not trying to load games and other big software from it.

The 15'' rMBP is definitely overkill for a lot of people but the 13''? Reasonably priced in my mind as long as you're ok with the fact that you can probably handle what you want to do perfectly well on an $400-$800 Windows laptop, depending on how many media playback bells and whistles you want (but oh lord, OS X is worth the extra $400 alone IMO lol)
    11-17-2013 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD