Silver Coating of the MacBook Pro Body ?

jooeey

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a question regarding the silver glaze coating on the body of MacBook Pro. Does constantly keeping your hand at the palm rest area on the MacBook while typing on the keyboard, can it lighten the silver glaze coating or leave stains because of sweating and thereby peel off or wear off the silver glaze coating on the palm rest area?? This happened with my Sony vaio constantly keeping my hand on the palm rest area (like for e.g for typing on the keyboard) on vaio has left some stain because of the sweat of my hands on the palm rest area.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have owned several macbook pros and have not experienced this problem with the Aluminum unibody designed MBP ... However there are several factors that could create these kinds of problems including your PH, of all the laptops I have owned I have found the Unibody designs to be the most durable.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have owned several macbook pros and have not experienced this problem with the Aluminum unibody designed MBP ... However there are several factors that could create these kinds of problems including your PH, of all the laptops I have owned I have found the Unibody designs to be the most durable.

The original MBP 2006 Had a "pitting" issue with the Aluminum. I had one with this problem. As far as any MBP after that I don't know.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The original MBP 2006 Had a "pitting" issue with the Aluminum. I had one with this problem. As far as any MBP after that I don't know.

Yikes! I had a couple of the early plastic MacBooks that had garbage keyboard decks, they would chip and change colors ... Loving Aluminum.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
All I know about is the 2006 MBP and the Aluminum pitting.
But hey the hand can cause wear on anything over time. Take the Apple Magic Track Pad for example. I've had one since release. There's no discoloration but there's some wear from constant use.
I'm sure there are some kind of protector you can use to keep it fresh.

#Naked Tuesday

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a question regarding the silver glaze coating on the body of MacBook Pro. Does constantly keeping your hand at the palm rest area on the MacBook while typing on the keyboard, can it lighten the silver glaze coating or leave stains because of sweating and thereby peel off or wear off the silver glaze coating on the palm rest area?? This happened with my Sony vaio constantly keeping my hand on the palm rest area (like for e.g for typing on the keyboard) on vaio has left some stain because of the sweat of my hands on the palm rest area.

The outer cases of both the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air are made if anodized aluminum. You are not going to "lighten the sliver glaze coating" or "leave stains"... if there’s any wear and tear on the keyboard deck, it’s actual wear on the aluminum surface... there is NO "sliver glaze coating".

jooeey

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
The outer cases of both the MacBook Pro and the MacBook Air are made if anodized aluminum. You are not going to "lighten the sliver glaze coating" or "leave stains"... if there’s any wear and tear on the keyboard deck, it’s actual wear on the aluminum surface... there is NO "sliver glaze coating".

Ok correction, if it is not silver glaze coating, the aluminium body or (whatever it is) will it get lighten because of me keeping my hand on that keyboard deck. I used to get bothered how the keyboard deck on my Sony Vaio got discoloured by doing this, and if I am paying a hell of a lot money to buy a MBP I might as well want to keep it in a pristine form forever and ever that is the thought process behind it. I can understand, I can use some skin on it, but if I don't want to, then what would be the case, I have had the sales guys in the Apple store trying to tell me oh well, it has a fantastic finish body and blah..blah...just use it blindly and nothing happens and all of that but you have to take it with a pinch of salt, a apple sales guy trying to sell his product would obviously try and tell you what me as a consumer want to listen to from him...So I don't quite 100 % believe what he is saying. Hence I am asking for actual feedback from the users here...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok correction, if it is not silver glaze coating, the aluminium body or (whatever it is) will it get lighten because of me keeping my hand on that keyboard deck. I used to get bothered how the keyboard deck on my Sony Vaio got discoloured by doing this, and if I am paying a hell of a lot money to buy a MBP I might as well want to keep it in a pristine form forever and ever that is the thought process behind it. I can understand, I can use some skin on it, but if I don't want to, then what would be the case, I have had the sales guys in the Apple store trying to tell me oh well, it has a fantastic finish body and blah..blah...just use it blindly and nothing happens and all of that but you have to take it with a pinch of salt, a apple sales guy trying to sell his product would obviously try and tell you what me as a consumer want to listen to from him...So I don't quite 100 % believe what he is saying. Hence I am asking for actual feedback from the users here...

My son has my original MBP that I purchased in September, 2010... no wear or discoloration anywhere on the computer. The same is true of my rMBP that I got in July, 2012. There is nothing to be concerned about... the rep at the Apple store is telling you the truth.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Since it's not a "coating" (as you called it), no, you cannot rub it off or wear it down to expose any other kind of finish. It's aluminum, all the way through...

jooeey

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok perhaps this may be asking too much :) lol but I am serious can any if you guys post a picture if your MacBook Pro only of the keyboard palm rest area just wanted to have a look. Guys who use it and have posted replies here :)

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
:) but I am serious...

really !!!!! the question has been answered no one can provide you any evidence if this on then new macbook pros including me i have 2013 macbook pro retina 15 and no issues its aluminium all the way through no coating no fake materials to look real its pure. Either roll and get one or stick with the plastic laptops or macbook wannabes out there and i am serious. thanks dude have a good night.

jooeey

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if I can put external links here but if you check on Apple's own community site in the MacBook Pro area a lot of people have also reported/complained about this same thing so it is very much there....If I am allowed to put links here I will post if for people's reference. Or you can do a search going on apple's community site. The official Apple.com community forum site.

Last edited:

vidhunnan

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
yup i am also got this type of problem yesterday. it is my new macbook pro 2015 and i found the coating is peeling off. what is the solution for it ?. it also spreading while just rubbing on it.

i place my palm on that place while scrolling.

Attachments

• IMG_20150917_220938.jpg
    IMG_20150917_220938.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20150918_070007.jpg
    IMG_20150918_070007.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 32

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
yup i am also got this type of problem yesterday. it is my new macbook pro 2015 and i found the coating is peeling off. what is the solution for it ?. it also spreading while just rubbing on it.

Lol what the heck is that? I've had my MacBook Pro for over a year and the area I rest my palms on looks like the day I got it. I had a MacBook Pro before this one for just over four years and it was the same.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I'd definitely take it back to Apple.

vidhunnan

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I also using another macbooks, but i didn't any problem on that, i am using mac for last 5 years.

but within one month i got this type of problem. how can i will be work with this, i went to store they told me u have to spoke directly to apple. how they wont be not taking caring the problem and simply saying you have to speak

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73