Microsoft Office on MacBook Pro?

johnny football hero

Nov 7, 2008
Visit site
I own a mid-2009 MacBook Pro. I am likely transitioning into a new line of work that will require me to use Microsoft Excel extensively. Should I buy Microsoft Office for Mac? Will it suffice my needs on my current mid-2009 MacBook Pro? Is there a difference between Microsoft Office namely the Excel program on Mac compared to PC? Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I own a mid-2009 MacBook Pro. I am likely transitioning into a new line of work that will require me to use Microsoft Excel extensively. Should I buy Microsoft Office for Mac? Will it suffice my needs on my current mid-2009 MacBook Pro? Is there a difference between Microsoft Office namely the Excel program on Mac compared to PC? Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I use MS office on my Macbook Pro and it seems to work as well as it does on PC at least for me anyway.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I’ve had MS Office on my Macs since making the switch over 3 years ago. The functionality is almost identical as on Windows...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I used Microsoft Office on my MacBook for a while before uninstalling it. I didn't have any problems with it and, as already stated above, it works identical to the Windows version. I decided to uninstall it because I wanted to give iWorks a try. I had both installed for a while before finally opting to keep iWorks. Again, I didn't have any problems whatsoever with Microsoft Office for Mac.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Works almost identically to the PC version. Some of the buttons and setup are in different places, but otherwise it's exactly the same. I have used office on my Mac for years and everything transitions over just fine from my work PC. It's worth it if you are a Mac user and need word, excel, or power point.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

johnny football hero

Nov 7, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for the informative responses. Earlier this week I had to email a letter I had written in Pages. Apparently the format wasn't compatible to the PC using recipient. Is that a result of the Mac & PC compatibility issue? Me using Pages and the recipient not.

Will documents created in Microsoft Office for Mac be compatible via email or other methods with PC users?

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Office docs on a Mac will be fine for PC users. I use Office on my Mac all the time (I need to since the school where I teach is strictly PC) and never have had a problem with compatibility.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
This seems like a current and relevant thread to ask the following. From what I've seen, Office for Mac 2011 is Mavericks compatible.

Has anyone upgraded to Mavericks with an existing Office for Mac 2011 installation? If yes, any concerns or issues so far?

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
This seems like a current and relevant thread to ask the following. From what I've seen, Office for Mac 2011 is Mavericks compatible.

Has anyone upgraded to Mavericks with an existing Office for Mac 2011 installation? If yes, any concerns or issues so far?

I haven't had any issues with office since the upgrade to Mavericks.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

None whatsoever. Been running Mavericks since DP1 in June... MS Office is a solid app on Mavericks as it was on Mountain Lion and previous versions of OS X.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

No issues, although I have an iMac and not a MBP.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I've also had no problems with MS Office 2011 since upgrading to OS X Mavericks. I did make the jump to iWork and have been using that instead, though. I just wish Microsoft would update the look of MS Office for the Mac. It seems to be lagging behind a decade or two in design, but other than that the functionality works great.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

No issues that I've noticed so far.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I get the spinning beach ball in Outlook regularly. But then again I got the 'Not responding' hang in windows for years with all versions of Outlook. I don't know why it slows down so much in Outlook. All the other apps work flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I signed up for Office 365 ... To me it's worth the $10 a month and to have the ability to use Office on all my macs as well as the PC Laptop I have laying around for those moments when I need a little variety. Works well and I have not had a issue.