New retina MacBook Pro thunderbolt file transfer speed issue

lpiphone

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I just bought the new rMBP. Awesome machine. Also bought a thunderbolt cable from Apple. I needed to transfer a rather small 15GB Aperture library from my iMac to my MBP. (both on Mavericks). I tried both computers in Target mode for file transfer. I'm getting super slow transfer speed of around 0.3MB per second. Horrible. I just got off the phone with a very nice and helpful Apple support tech. I'll have to go the store tomorrow to get the MBP and cable tested...

Anyone got a similar issue ?

Thank you,

Regards,

lpiphone

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I did turn wifi off on both machine. I'll keep you posted after my visit to the store with my rMBP and my thunderbolt cable.

lpiphone

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I turned off wifi to ensure Thunderbolt transfer would happen. Sadly, the Apple Store Genius Employee proved that my rMBP and Thunderbolt cable were working fine. Therefore, the issue would be with my iMac (mid 2011 HDD). I'll have to find a way to test if there are bad sectors, or else... I'll post again if anyone is interested in the end of this sad story...

Thank you much for your interest and help.

Best Regards.

lpiphone

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
The issue seems to have been caused by a somewhat corrupted Aperture file export. I re-created the export. The file transfer started very slowly between my iMac and my rMBP, but it finished 15GB under 10 minutes. Problem solved!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices