Just started using a Track Pad for the first time yesterday when I got my new MBP and already I can not stand the track pad. It seems like it will work smoothly for a while and then all of a sudden the cursor will get stuck in the top panel and not move no matter which way I slide my fingers or try to click the track pad. Other times it seems like it scrolls too far and then I'm back at the desktop with 3 open windows, one of them being Safari.

Is there anything I can do that will make using the track pad easier? Or should I invest in a wireless keyboard mouse? If the answer is a keyboard mouse, which one is a good one? I went to Target the day after I ordered my MBP to look at some, and I did find a small one for $16 that I thought was nice, but I didn't know if it was good or not and wanted to at least try using the track pad first before getting one.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.
    10-29-2013 08:58 PM
    The best wireless mouse for me have always been the small Logitech ones. Those things feel so comfortable in the palm of my hands. I don't like trackpads on any laptop.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    10-29-2013 09:19 PM
    The best wireless mouse for me have always been the small Logitech ones. Those things feel so comfortable in the palm of my hands. I don't like trackpads on any laptop.
    Cool, thanks. The small palm sized wireless mouse that I saw at Target was a Logitech. I might just give that one a try as it fits in the palm of my hand and is a little cheaper than the Apple mouse.
    10-29-2013 09:25 PM
    Give yourself a bit of time to get used to the trackpad. When I first switched to the Mac I don't recall having those sorts of issues but it did take some time to get used to. You may also want to go into the Mouse/trackpad settings and see what you can adjust.
    dalaen and Eileen89 like this.
    10-29-2013 11:00 PM
    I usually use the trackpad, when I am sitting for long periods of time I use my Apple Mighty Mouse, it works great.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    10-30-2013 01:47 PM
    I use a Magic Mouse most of the time. I can use the trackpad for most things... sometimes I still have problems with the drag and drop function, but I am sure that it’s operator error (me).

Using the trackpad on a MacBook is still light years ahead of the same experience on any Windows laptop I have ever tried...
    Eileen89 and Mason Rasmussen like this.
    10-30-2013 02:33 PM
    Just started using a Track Pad for the first time yesterday when I got my new MBP and already I can not stand the track pad. It seems like it will work smoothly for a while and then all of a sudden the cursor will get stuck in the top panel and not move no matter which way I slide my fingers or try to click the track pad. Other times it seems like it scrolls too far and then I'm back at the desktop with 3 open windows, one of them being Safari.

Is there anything I can do that will make using the track pad easier? Or should I invest in a wireless keyboard mouse? If the answer is a keyboard mouse, which one is a good one? I went to Target the day after I ordered my MBP to look at some, and I did find a small one for $16 that I thought was nice, but I didn't know if it was good or not and wanted to at least try using the track pad first before getting one.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Hi

I recently purchased a rMBP too after being a PC users for many years and always preferred the "regular mouse" over any touchpad but that ended the day I lay my hand on the macbook trackpad which I find a delight to use.

That said, there are many users complaining on Apple community (and many other sites) about having problems with their trackpads mainly on the new rMBP and the source has not been identified yet, so I think you are one of those user.

I never had an issue with my trackpad on ML but after upgrading to mavericks I experienced a weird moment or two where the scroll with two fingers would not work on safari/chrome mainly so I started looking around and found some info related to this:
    http://m.cnet.com/news/retina-macboo...-woes/57609543

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/28/...nstall-issues/

I hope this helps.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    10-30-2013 03:22 PM
    Give yourself a bit of time to get used to the trackpad. When I first switched to the Mac I don't recall having those sorts of issues but it did take some time to get used to. You may also want to go into the Mouse/trackpad settings and see what you can adjust.
    Thanks Karen. I did go into my settings last night and changed the scrolling speed which did seem to make a difference from what I am seeing now. I think is was set to slow by default. I do plan to keep using the Track Pad now as I think it's the only way that I'm going to get used to it as you said here. I've also researched a few more gestures for the track pad and they seem to hep as well. Anyway, thanks again.
    10-30-2013 04:18 PM
    Hi

I recently purchased a rMBP too after being a PC users for many years and always preferred the "regular mouse" over any touchpad but that ended the day I lay my hand on the macbook trackpad which I find a delight to use.

That said, there are many users complaining on Apple community (and many other sites) about having problems with their trackpads mainly on the new rMBP and the source has not been identified yet, so I think you are one of those user.

I never had an issue with my trackpad on ML but after upgrading to mavericks I experienced a weird moment or two where the scroll with two fingers would not work on safari/chrome mainly so I started looking around and found some info related to this:
    Retina MacBook Pro owners report keyboard, trackpad woes - CNET Mobile

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

Owners of Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pros Reporting Keyboard and Trackpad Freezes, Boot Camp Install Issues - Mac Rumors

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for these links. I read through them all and don't believe I am having the issues that those users had. I believe some of them were having an issue related to a software issue with Mountain Lion, while others seem to have lock up issues that the only fix for the track pad was a hard reset.... Like Fausty I believe the largest problem for me is related to not using a track pad before and needing to get used to how it works. Anyway, for some reason my track pad does seem to be working better for me today. If I do start having issues with it again I'll keep what was posted in your links in mind.
    linsiris likes this.
    10-30-2013 04:34 PM
    I use a Magic Mouse most of the time. I can use the trackpad for most things... sometimes I still have problems with the drag and drop function, but I am sure that it’s operator error (me).

Using the trackpad on a MacBook is still light years ahead of the same experience on any Windows laptop I have ever tried...
    I never used a Windows laptop before so I never had to use a track pad before. I think I have always used mouses with my desktops which is why this is solo much different for me a harder to get the hang of. I do love my rMBP, therefore if this is going to be my biggest frustration coming over from Windows, I'm up for the challenge, lol.
    10-30-2013 04:39 PM
    I usually use the trackpad, when I am sitting for long periods of time I use my Apple Mighty Mouse, it works great.
    I think I saw Apples Mouse in BestBuy and may end up trying it if the palm size one that I get doesn't work out well.
    10-30-2013 04:41 PM
    I think I saw Apples Mouse in BestBuy and may end up trying it if the palm size one that I get doesn't work out well.
    The best part of using the Apple mouse is the easy connectivity and the fact that it just works. I enjoy the multi touch gestures that you can perform as well. It's the perfect extension.
    10-30-2013 04:42 PM
    The best part of using the Apple mouse is the easy connectivity and the fact that it just works. I enjoy the multi touch gestures that you can perform as well. It's the perfect extension.
    Does this mean that the other mouses won't connect or work as well as the one sold through Apple? Also, are you saying that the Apple mouse is capable of multi touch gestures, or are you referring to the track pad. Thanks.
    10-30-2013 04:53 PM
    Does this mean that the other mouses won't connect or work as well as the one sold through Apple? Also, are you saying that the Apple mouse is capable of multi touch gestures, or are you referring to the track pad. Thanks.
    Any mouse will work with any Mac. The key for the MagicMouse is the surface - you can use the multi-touch gestures to control the rMBP...
    Eileen89 likes this.
    10-30-2013 04:58 PM
    Any mouse will work with any Mac. The key for the MagicMouse is the surface - you can use the multi-touch gestures to control the rMBP...
    The fact that you can use multi touch gestures with it sounds a lot like the track pad. I might just go to BestBuy tomorrow and check one of their display mouses out. I do like the idea of having the multi touch gesture option available.
    10-30-2013 05:03 PM
    The fact that you can use multi touch gestures with it sounds a lot like the track pad. I might just go to BestBuy tomorrow and check one of their display mouses out. I do like the idea of having the multi touch gesture option available.
    It doesn't have the number of gestures the trackpad does.
    10-30-2013 05:17 PM
    It doesn't have the number of gestures the trackpad does.
    I figured it might be limited in what it could do, but I still think it's cool that it even has any gestures. I don't think other wireless mouses have this feature, but I could be wrong about this.
    10-30-2013 07:28 PM
    This article talks about issues with the keyboard/trackpad responsiveness on the 13" rMBP... can’t imagine that the same issue would not be showing up on the 15" rMBP, as well - especially of you’re having responsiveness issues with your trackpad...

Apple says fix incoming for 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro trackpad & keyboard issues, offers interim solution | 9to5Mac

Apple has published a new support article detailing an issue with some new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros that debuted alongside the iPad Air earlier this month. The issue can lead to the computer’s keyboard or trackpad becoming unresponsive. There have been numerous reports of the issue in a 67-page thread on the Apple support forums.
    According to the new support page, Apple is aware of the issue and working on a permanent fix. Until it is released, the issue can be remedied by closing the computer for a full minute and then waking it back up.
    10-30-2013 08:00 PM
    This article talks about issues with the keyboard/trackpad responsiveness on the 13" rMBP... can’t imagine that the same issue would not be showing up on the 15" rMBP, as well - especially of you’re having responsiveness issues with your trackpad...
    I hate to say it but the issue with my track pad was operator error. My cursor was never really stuck at the top. The reason why it wouldn't move from there was because I was using two fingers to scroll down instead of one, or something like that. My track pad is working better now and I am no longer having any issues with it right now.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-31-2013 07:15 PM
    I just purchased the Apple Mighty Mouse at BestBuy this afternoon and I LOVE it! It paired really quick with my MBP and the best part is that it doesn't require the use of a USB port like other wireless mouses do. At $69 it definitely wasn't cheap, but to me it's worth the price that I paid.
    10-31-2013 07:20 PM
    I just purchased the Apple Mighty Mouse at BestBuy this afternoon and I LOVE it! It paired really quick with my MBP and the best part is that it doesn't require the use of a USB port like other wireless mouses do. At $69 it definitely wasn't cheap, but to me it's worth the price that I paid.
    Did you get the Mighty Mouse (fat, round one) or the Magic Mouse (slim, low-profile with trackpad-like surface on top)?
    10-31-2013 07:33 PM
    Did you get the Mighty Mouse (fat, round one) or the Magic Mouse (slim, low-profile with trackpad-like surface on top)?
    The slim one with the track pad like surface. Here's a picture of it:

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    10-31-2013 07:42 PM
    Congrats!!! I love that mouse, I use the same one.
    Eileen89 likes this.
    10-31-2013 07:59 PM