Mid-2012 MBP to New rMBP?

pattzilla

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Good afternoon, everyone!

About a month ago or so, I purchased a mid-2012 MacBook Pro. It?s the one with the i7 processor and 750 GB hard drive. I chose this specific one because of its hard drive size and its speed. But now the new MacBook Pros came out, and so I?m interested in returning the one I have now (I have a 60-day return policy with Best Buy) and purchasing a new one.

However, I?m in a bit of a pickle. Now, I really don?t know much about processor speeds, etc., except that the i7 is usually faster than the i5 processor. If I was to buy a new rMBP, I?d be downgrading to the i5 processor (without configuration, of course, because I?m buying it from Best Buy...it?s a long story lol). Is this new fourth-generation i5 processor faster than a third-generation i7 processor? That?s the only thing stopping me from buying it. I don?t really care too much about hard drive space (although 256 GB is a huge downgrade from 750 GB) because I completely forgot that I can just buy an external hard drive.

My main use of the MacBook is editing through Final Cut Pro because I am a broadcast journalism major. I understand there are better, more expensive options to choose from, but I have to stick with my budget. :/

Thanks in advance to those who respond. You?re awesome =)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The question is -- Will you be able to be productive editing Final Cut Pro with an i5 processor like you can with an i7 processor? I'd like to think that a few possible milliseconds of speed degradation will not hurt productivity. Still, I recommend that you go to the nearest Best Buy store and test out the new rMPBs, if available or older ones using i5 processors just to gauge the speed and power.

pattzilla

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The question is -- Will you be able to be productive editing Final Cut Pro with an i5 processor like you can with an i7 processor? I'd like to think that a few possible milliseconds of speed degradation will not hurt productivity. Still, I recommend that you go to the nearest Best Buy store and test out the new rMPBs, if available or older ones using i5 processors just to gauge the speed and power.

Thanks so much! I guess that’s what I will end up doing, then. =) I’m just afraid that down the line...a year or so from now...I made the wrong decision lol

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much! I guess that’s what I will end up doing, then. =) I’m just afraid that down the line...a year or so from now...I made the wrong decision lol

I hear ya, my friend, but hey, that's life. We roll the dice and then live with the outcome until we get another chance...:)

pattzilla

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If anyone cares, I ended up returning the new MacBook Pro with Retina display because it kept lagging while doing simple tasks...like opening the Applications folder, scrolling through websites, or switching tabs. Now, the laptop itself may have been defective, but I decided to stick with my mid-2012 one. No lag here :)

However, the Retina display...HOLY COW. Like, it's a whole different experience! I can't even begin to describe what an amazing display that was. That's the only thing that would have made me stick with it, to be honest.

BBGary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
If anyone cares, I ended up returning the new MacBook Pro with Retina display because it kept lagging while doing simple tasks...like opening the Applications folder, scrolling through websites, or switching tabs. Now, the laptop itself may have been defective, but I decided to stick with my mid-2012 one. No lag here :)

However, the Retina display...HOLY COW. Like, it's a whole different experience! I can't even begin to describe what an amazing display that was. That's the only thing that would have made me stick with it, to be honest.

Just purchased the same 2012MBP and it is my first MAC ever - windows user for 17years . My question is how's the battery life and what should i do to make it longer. Should i "train" the battery of a laptop as i do with the phones, or not? Thanks for all your replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711