I was coming up on the end of my exchange window and decided to swap out my new Macbook Air for the Macbook Pro w/Retina. I have owned many MacBooks, however after using this machine for a full day I cannot believe that I even debated picking up this machine. If you look online there is plenty of debate in regard to which machine someone should get, the fact that the new Air has the 4th Gen intel brains and amazing battery life usually seems to win out with the comparisons. For me my problem was two fold with the air.

1. The screen was terrible, even though it was higher resolution than my mid 2011 Macbook Pro, the screen on the Macbook Pro was just so much better
    2. The shallow keyboard and trackpad. I understand the "why" as to keep the machine so thin, but wow is it a delight to type this on my Macbook Pro's keyboard

I will miss the battery life of the air, as well as the fact that I could never get it to warm up (nice on the lap) however, the screen alone on this new machine is just "That Much" better. I also like the new form factor as this machine seems to fit my palms so much better.
    10-07-2013 02:50 AM
    I'm in agreement with you for the most part. The MacBook Air is a heckuva device, but the Pro version is still more suitable for my needs. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience...
    10-07-2013 09:13 AM
    Congrats, @jsntrenkler. I’ve had my rMBP since launch day, and still love it. The screen is awesome... and the battery life is good.

You mentioned your "exchange window"... are you talking about the BestBuy RewardZone? It’s awesome having a 45 day return window for the ElitePlus members...
    10-07-2013 11:44 AM
    @Fausty82 ... I bought it when I was a Silver Rewards member (60 day return window), was up/downgraded to ElitePlus during my purchase, didn't want to risk having to fight the initial benefit. Very happy with the exchange, this screen is amazing! It's one of those things that you just ask yourself "how did I live so long without it?" .... What would be super awesome is if Apple updates the Retina to Hasswell during this 45 day window ;-) ... However I am super happy with the machine, the only downside is I picked up a machine with 128 gigs of storage, with all my usual apps installed (Logic Pro, Parallels w/Windows 8, Evernote, Minecraft) I have about 58 gigs left. It's tight but workable, I just couldn't justify the extra $200 for the extra storage when I have several external drives.
    10-07-2013 11:53 AM
    I'm in agreement with you for the most part. The MacBook Air is a heckuva device, but the Pro version is still more suitable for my needs. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience...
    Thanks, in truth all the 3 models are fantastic machines, each has it's own use case ... I will tell you that the 2013 Macbook Air does run Parallels with window 8 without a hitch, it did very well. Biggest problem I had was in Logic Pro, it took forever to bounce a 8 track mix. The Retina just blasts through it, even though both machines are relatively close in the benchmarks the Pro came through more when I needed it. Did I say I love this keyboard? Soooo comfy :-)
    10-07-2013 11:55 AM