As the title suggests, I would like to know of an app that lets me measure the on screen time of my Mac, akin to Android's built in battery monitor.
    10-04-2013 04:05 AM
    iStat Menus maybe.
    10-04-2013 07:44 AM
    As the title suggests, I would like to know of an app that lets me measure the on screen time of my Mac, akin to Android's built in battery monitor.
    Curious, as the functionality of "Screen On" is completely different than a android phone why would you want to track this data? Your Macbook screen will not come on when you receive a new message or alert? You can go into settings and change the default time off if you would like, in my experience the screen always shuts off when it is supposed to and never comes back on unless you click the mouse or hit a key to bring it back up.
    10-07-2013 12:00 PM
    Curious, as the functionality of "Screen On" is completely different than a android phone why would you want to track this data? Your Macbook screen will not come on when you receive a new message or alert? You can go into settings and change the default time off if you would like, in my experience the screen always shuts off when it is supposed to and never comes back on unless you click the mouse or hit a key to bring it back up.
    My Mac never gets turned off. Its been a month or so since the last time I turned it off. I just am wanting an app like that to tell me if my battery is alright since I think I'm getting less SOT per charge then normal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using iMore Forums mobile app
    10-07-2013 02:34 PM
    My Mac never gets turned off. Its been a month or so since the last time I turned it off. I just am wanting an app like that to tell me if my battery is alright since I think I'm getting less SOT per charge then normal.

Even the screen never gets turned off? I get never turning off the computer, but would think the screen would be turned off when not in use.

There are battery apps in the Mac AppStore which will give you battery health but the already installed System Profiler does as well.
    10-07-2013 03:11 PM

If you are leaving the computer on 24/7 and it has a internal battery (laptop), the battery will begin to lose it's charge over time. Battery wasn't designed to always hold a full charge, so you will see some degradation. Me personally I charge my laptop when it's low and use it on battery power when I am casually surfing, emailing etc. I plug it in for games an prolonged sessions. As mentioned above there are lot's of apps in the app store that will help you monitor your battery health.

FYI - Not good for your screen to leave it always on, again it has a life cycle as well. Screen costs more to replace than the battery.
    10-08-2013 01:41 PM
    If you are leaving the computer on 24/7 and it has a internal battery (laptop), the battery will begin to lose it's charge over time. Battery wasn't designed to always hold a full charge, so you will see some degradation. Me personally I charge my laptop when it's low and use it on battery power when I am casually surfing, emailing etc. I plug it in for games an prolonged sessions. As mentioned above there are lot's of apps in the app store that will help you monitor your battery health.

FYI - Not good for your screen to leave it always on, again it has a life cycle as well. Screen costs more to replace than the battery.
    I don't leave my screen on all the time. It goes in standby a lot.

10-08-2013 03:44 PM