Conflicted should I go Retina or not? again

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I got a Retina MBP earlier this year but due to a snafu with the Apple financing I had to send it back. Long story short 18months no interest was US only in Canda the deal is full payment in 3 months. So I'm using my Mid 2010 Unibody it's been upgraded with max RAM and an SSD. My cousin is looking for a new laptop and says he'll give me $1200 for my MBP. So I could go get a Retina from Bestbuy for $2400 but I'm not sure I really want to take on the $1200 in debt. My wife and I own a house we are about to do our roof and windows which altogether is going to run us $7K with our hookups. But damn I'm missing the Retina and I don't know if I can walk about from this lol oh decisions decisions.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The fact that you mentioned the higher priorities tells me you've already made your decision. I'm not going to help you feel less guilty here lol.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The fact that you mentioned the higher priorities tells me you've already made your decision. I'm not going to help you feel less guilty here lol.

You are so wise I'm conflicted but you're right I'm trying to cancel the order as we speak. Arghhh this sucks lol but hey maybe next year.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I always feel some sort of Buyers remorse with my upgrades, but in the end it always works out and I am happier. If you love the Retina go for it I say, I just did some work on my non retina macbook and man is it a different experience with the Non Retina display.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I got a Retina MBP earlier this year but due to a snafu with the Apple financing I had to send it back. Long story short 18months no interest was US only in Canda the deal is full payment in 3 months. So I'm using my Mid 2010 Unibody it's been upgraded with max RAM and an SSD. My cousin is looking for a new laptop and says he'll give me $1200 for my MBP. So I could go get a Retina from Bestbuy for $2400 but I'm not sure I really want to take on the $1200 in debt. My wife and I own a house we are about to do our roof and windows which altogether is going to run us $7K with our hookups. But damn I'm missing the Retina and I don't know if I can walk about from this lol oh decisions decisions.

I wouldn't buy a computer right now simply because there are some new models right around the corner, so I would certainly hold off for the time being.

That said, since you've already owned the retina model before, you kind of know what you are buying into. I wasn't overly impressed with the retina model vs. my built MBP when I got it...the screen was incredible, there was no comparison there, but when it got down to it...I felt the fact that I was downgrading on almost everything internally was not worth it to keep the screen, and I never felt the weight of the machine was any better than my older model (even if it was a smaller chassis).

With the newer models coming, what is really drawing me back into the market is the battery life...something that I have found quite important lately when I don't have access to running my machine off the AC adaptor. Right now, I'm getting 3-4 solid hours of usage out of my MBP...not great, but not impressive either. The new ones are rumored to be in the Air's range, and that REALLY gets me excited. If I could have a MBP with 10+ hours of battery life, I'd throw internal flexibility aside and focus on that!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sean, FYI-mavericks seems to greatly improve battery life. I have a mid 2012 15" retina and I've noticed much improved battery life during all of the developer previews and now the GM. So you might not need a new one to get better battery life.

I don't think the Airs will be getting upgrades because they got Haswell processors in June. I'm guessing the MBP will be getting them.

I agree on both counts. My rMBP (original offering) is rock solid on Mavericks GM... great battery life... The Haswell processor will only make it better, however.

I doubt we?ll see any change to the MBAs this time around. Probably no iMac either, as both have already been refreshed for the year. Mac Pro and MacBook Pro updates only, IMHO. Plus iPods/iPads.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am kind in the same situation here. Hope the October announcement includes an new macbook pro eitherwise we wait for nothing... I am going to wait a month though anyway before saying goodbye to windows!

lol...no offense, but I'd trade a Windows computer for a 2007 regular Macbook running Tiger, lol.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am kind in the same situation here. Hope the October announcement includes an new macbook pro eitherwise we wait for nothing... I am going to wait a month though anyway before saying goodbye to windows!

Sort of a "cooling off" period?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I was about to start a new thread but since there is activitiy in this one I'll just continue in here. So I get the MBP and I'm preparing to call Apple and get ready to send it back. I'm talking to my sister and a couple years ago I loaned her some money when she was in a bind. I had completely forgotten about it but she reminded me and told me to keep the MBP she would send me the money she owed me. I thought I was over the moon until I booted up and saw this

IMG_0240.JPG

The videocard was toast I booted three other times and it was the same deal. I took it in to a genius bar hoping they could do something but at the least to confirm there was an issue. So I was right it was the videocard. I got on the phone with Apple and their customer support rocks they quickly helped me get it ready for return. I returned it and hopped on the site found another model exactly the same specs except it has a 256GB SSD instead of 512GB but 16GB RAM instead of 8GB. I ordered it and I'm here waiting I get a delivery today. The Apple person set up the laptop as a replacement not a return. So now I have a choice to make and I need you guys help. The difference between the two is $100 and as you know the RAM is soldered on so there is no way to upgrade. So I'm torn do I spend the $100 and get the 16GB of RAM, what I'm leaning towards, or get the 512GB SSD? $100 for either of those things is an insane deal. I'm looking at the 16GB as the winning choice right now because that will future proof it more. I already have a 256GB SSD and I always have 100GB of free space because I have externals and online storage like nobody's business. What do you guys think?

I can't wait for the new models because I buy from the refurbished store. The systems I have in the regular Apple store would be over $3000, $600 extra than I'm paying right now. I don't mind running a model that is a year behind for that savings to me.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2