RAM and MBP

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

Id like to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. Its a late 2011 model.

I'd like to know which brand of RAM should I get? Also, would anybody recommend getting it from ebay or should I go to a local store like Tiger Direct?

Thanks!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Recommend picking up RAM from a known manufacturer and vendor. This way you have a good chance that the memory specs meet your particular models requirements. Crucial is who I used recently to upgrade my 2011 MBP and 2010 Mac Mini. They claim the modules are Apple Certified or similar level of compatibility. I think Kensington is another vendor that claims Mac compatibility.

Lesser quality memory could cause issues with system stability. Personally I'd get it from a well established Mac centric site as long as the prices are reasonable. Amazon should also be a good source, if you can get it from them and not a reseller. I say this not to slight the many good resellers out there, but am a bit 'noid about having to deal with potential hassles if a return is required. If there's a reputable local brick and mortar store, then that of course is another option to consider.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I run Crucial in mine, but the first 16GB pack that i ordered had an issue, and would not properly seat in my computer (a problem with the physical board itself)...they replaced it with free 2nd day shipping so I wasn't too terribly upset. I hear really good things about OWC as well, but don't have any personal experience with them. I also ordered my Crucial set off eBay.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

Id like to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. Its a late 2011 model.

I'd like to know which brand of RAM should I get? Also, would anybody recommend getting it from ebay or should I go to a local store like Tiger Direct?

Thanks!

FYI, I've performed this upgrade a number of times on my MacBook Pros through the years... if you need any help drop me a line.