Is it fine getting a older mbp still?

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking maybe 2011 or 2012 model not sure if its a good idea I don't really think a new MBA with the haswell procers really make a difference seeing as the processor is faster in the mbp vs the air

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, yes. I still have a MacBook 2009 model that is running OS X Mountain Lion without a problem so I'm sure a 2011 or 2012 Pro model with be sufficient, depending on your needs.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I just got a 2009 with a SSD and 8gb of RAM and it works awesome.

So I say an older one is not a bad thing.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The processor is only more powerful if you're comparing the i7 model to the haswell i5 (the haswell i5 model is SIGNIFICANTLY better in many ways compared to the Ivy Bridge i5).

I would not get the 2011 model over the 2012 because of the same type of argument...2011 came with Sandy Bridge, 2012 was an improved Ivy Bridge processor...and a bigger stock hard drive.

The 2012 will most likely be the last Macbook Pro with user swappable internals, so that will keep it relevant for some time...when the retina models come out with the haswell processors though, and an i7 haswell is offered, expect to see extreme battery life increases, and a big performance boost (as well as an almost assured graphics card improvement).

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The processor is only more powerful if you're comparing the i7 model to the haswell i5 (the haswell i5 model is SIGNIFICANTLY better in many ways compared to the Ivy Bridge i5).

I would not get the 2011 model over the 2012 because of the same type of argument...2011 came with Sandy Bridge, 2012 was an improved Ivy Bridge processor...and a bigger stock hard drive.

The 2012 will most likely be the last Macbook Pro with user swappable internals, so that will keep it relevant for some time...when the retina models come out with the haswell processors though, and an i7 haswell is offered, expect to see extreme battery life increases, and a big performance boost (as well as an almost assured graphics card improvement).

So pretty much a new model air with the haswell processors outshines the mbp by far and they can hold there own very well? I mainly want to use my laptop to play music videos use it for school and do some video editing and picture editing so pretty much a small photography studio would like to be able to burn DVDs and CDs but not sure if I can do it on the air...

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
As I do more and more research I think the MBA would be the better choice i7 haswell seems by far way better then an older i7 mbp that's more expensive plus the battery life is great and the portability is superb as well just one ? If I can't afford it at the moment to upgrade it air when buying it will I be able to install upgrades later on down the road?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a 2012 Pro and it's awesome. I've never bought the newest mac because I could save a boatload of money and get great performance by buying last years or the year before that model. I do however, never get one that's more than 2 years old. Not because of expecting problems but because the geek in me wants to be somewhat closer to the newer models. You can get a great deal on a refurb 2012 model from Apple. They're basically brand new and save a few hundred bucks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So pretty much a new model air with the haswell processors outshines the mbp by far and they can hold there own very well? I mainly want to use my laptop to play music videos use it for school and do some video editing and picture editing so pretty much a small photography studio would like to be able to burn DVDs and CDs but not sure if I can do it on the air...

Not sure where you got that first part of your comment, I know I never said that...personally, i think the 2012 non-retina is the best available, but that's just my opinion and works best for my requirements.

If you need to burn CD's and DVD's, you'll have to buy an external optical drive and that will also take up one of two USB inputs on the MBA while in use...photography and video editing can be done on the MBA, but will be better supported by the Macbook Pro line (especially because you'll have the option of getting the Retina display).

As I do more and more research I think the MBA would be the better choice i7 haswell seems by far way better then an older i7 mbp that's more expensive plus the battery life is great and the portability is superb as well just one ? If I can't afford it at the moment to upgrade it air when buying it will I be able to install upgrades later on down the road?

No...with both the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro (retina), what you order is what you get, they are not user upgradable.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

No optical drive on the Air of course so you'll need to buy an external one. Not typcially a big deal since they can be had for under $50 and most don't use optical drives enough for it to be annoying. Other than that, everything that you intend to do can certainly be done on the air. I just like the Pro size and ability to be easily upgraded whereas the Air is more of a task in that department. The air is probably the best for portability but the Pro is pretty good as well. It's smaller than most 13 inch notebook (that aren't ultrabooks) and not heavy. It's just the Air is super portable LOL. In my opinion when it comes to photgraphy and photo/video editing programs, RAM is very important. As long as you have one of the i5 or i7 processors you'll be good as long as you have enough RAM. I'd recommend at least 8 if you intend on doing those things very often. That's why I go pro because I can buy what suit my needs now and then tweak it later if my needs change rather than having to go through selling and buying another. But that's just me.

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
No optical drive on the Air of course so you'll need to buy an external one. Not typcially a big deal since they can be had for under $50 and most don't use optical drives enough for it to be annoying. Other than that, everything that you intend to do can certainly be done on the air. I just like the Pro size and ability to be easily upgraded whereas the Air is more of a task in that department. The air is probably the best for portability but the Pro is pretty good as well. It's smaller than most 13 inch notebook (that aren't ultrabooks) and not heavy. It's just the Air is super portable LOL. In my opinion when it comes to photgraphy and photo/video editing programs, RAM is very important. As long as you have one of the i5 or i7 processors you'll be good as long as you have enough RAM. I'd recommend at least 8 if you intend on doing those things very often. That's why I go pro because I can buy what suit my needs now and then tweak it later if my needs change rather than having to go through selling and buying another. But that's just me.

I want to do photo and video editing as well so I'm still debating...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's the bottom line...you're getting way too caught up in the little details that you'll probably never have to worry about. You said you want to do photography and video editing...Make sure whatever machine you get has a decent amount of RAM (decent to me is 8GB) and make sure you have some sort of legitimate storage (internal or external).

Any of the machines available from Apple will be able to do the things you're requiring of them, the retina models will be the best because of the resolution of the screen.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's the bottom line...you're getting way too caught up in the little details that you'll probably never have to worry about. You said you want to do photography and video editing...Make sure whatever machine you get has a decent amount of RAM (decent to me is 8GB) and make sure you have some sort of legitimate storage (internal or external).

Any of the machines available from Apple will be able to do the things you're requiring of them, the retina models will be the best because of the resolution of the screen.

I agree. The smaller details aren't likely to be very noticeable. Sure there's something to say about having the newest processor but in many cases performance is neglible. I'd go 2012 non retina and get at least 750GB HDD and 8GB RAM for the heavy photo and video editing. But like the quoted user has said, any of the models can do what you need them for but for me the question is the balance between value, performance and flexibility. Good luck again.

jnew619

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help I agree I'm looking into too many small issues I want the best option without spending to much money so rentia is definitely out the question I'm just going to have to see them in person and look at the prices myself it seems like if I got pro that I should get 2012 model and if I go air I should upgrade to 8gb ram so I'm gonna have to look through...

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help I agree I'm looking into too many small issues I want the best option without spending to much money so rentia is definitely out the question I'm just going to have to see them in person and look at the prices myself it seems like if I got pro that I should get 2012 model and if I go air I should upgrade to 8gb ram so I'm gonna have to look through...

Check out Apple refurbs. Great prices on items that are basically new. Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. They are designed to last for 8-10 years and they will meet that, easily. I've had mine for 5 and it runs like new still.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

jtb79

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought a late 2011 in early 2012 and going on a year and a half of use it still works like the day I got it and still blows every newer laptop my friends and colleagues have out of the water.

bsmithphoto13

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 2012 MBA , 2013 MBP retina and a 2013 MBP. They are all amazing for their own uses. Best bang for your buck would be the MBP non retina. You can easily upgrade that whenever you want. The others are still great but are very hard to upgrade down the road. The only downside that I've found with the MBP non retina is its a bit heavy and the slow hard drive (which can be upgraded to a SSD later on to fix that issue). I used the MBA for some photo editing and it was ok, but now that I'm back on a MBP I can't believe how much faster everything renders. It easily saves minutes each time which very easily builds up to hours quickly.

If I were recommending a new comp to a friend in your shoes I'd say go to beat buy right now and get the deal they have going on, you can save $300 on the MBP non retina and then upgrade the hard drive later

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
This thread was quite helpful. I literally bought a MBP non-retina on an impulse two days ago to replace my 2010 (64 gb :no:) air. I was still feeling like I was missing something that is offered by the retina but at the end of the day the 2012 model will be more than enough for what I need it for. I'm going to take a lot of your advice and upgrade the HDD to SSD and the ram. I love this thing and I am planning to have it for at least 4 more years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods