Non retina MBP or new air? Better buy?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So I am deciding what new computer I want to buy and was wondering if the air would be better or an older cMBP? Ill use it mainly for in my classroom, PowerPoint, office stuff like that? Thoughts? Will the new air be powerful enough to handle that?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on what you posted, a non-retina MacBook is more than sufficient and will be easier on the wallet.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I am deciding what new computer I want to buy and was wondering if the air would be better or an older cMBP? Ill use it mainly for in my classroom, PowerPoint, office stuff like that? Thoughts? Will the new air be powerful enough to handle that?

I'm at the same point too. I don't know if I should pick up a MBP (non-retina) or one of the new Air models. My current MacBook is severely outdated and I'd like something for web browsing, emailing, etc (I have a desktop for music storage and photo editing).

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm at the same point too. I don't know if I should pick up a MBP (non-retina) or one of the new Air models. My current MacBook is severely outdated and I'd like something for web browsing, emailing, etc (I have a desktop for music storage and photo editing).

It’s obviously a personal choice, and should based on what you intend to use the computer for, and your financial situation.

Premium1: In a classroom setting, where you’re carrying it around a lot, even a couple of pounds will make a difference. In this case, if you can afford it, I’d go with the new 13" MBA, with max memory (8GB) and as big of an SSD as you can comfortably afford. The reason for maxing out the upgrades is simple - everything is soldered in, and it has no user upgradeable options. The Haswell processors will also give you amazing battery life - very important if you’re going to be using it in a classroom situation - you don’t want to have to worry about finding an electrical outlet and stretching a power adapter across the floor in a classroom.

ILive an iLife: In your case, it, too, is a matter of cost. Understanding that the MBA is not upgradeable, and the non-retina MBP is, it’s a matter of what you’re really going to be using it for. Web browsing, and email don’t require a huge amount of speed or storage. Personally, I had an 11" MBA at one point, but felt it was a bit too small. Personally, the 13" MBA is a sweet machine. Again, if you go with the MBA, do as much upgrade as you can afford because you’re gonna be stuck with what you buy - so future-proof it as best you can. However, you may approach the price point at which the non-retina MBP makes more sense. Both are definitely portable, but the MBA clearly is smaller and lighter, so that should also be a consideration.

Part of me wants to take a hard look a the 13" MBA for myself and possibly sell my retina MBP. That MBA looks that sweet to me.

anthony81586

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

According to what you've said here, I'd personally go with the air. Since you'll obviously be on the go with it the portability will be key. Plus the ssd is not something that could be understated with how awesome it is. I have an early 2011 MBP 15" that I upgraded to Ssd and upped the Ram to 8GB and just that simple refresh made a world of difference, but alas my wife uses it for school and it's just to bulky. So we are looking to get a MBA and an iMac for the house.

So to answer your question again I'd go with a MBA, as long as you have no intention to game. Also, if you want a MBP with the above upgrades send me a PM. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
While the macbook pro is a fantastic device, I just don't think you can beat the air for it's portability. You will be amazed at how much of a difference a pound makes in your bag after lugging it around all day. Plus with the new air you get all day battery life and super fast and much cooler operating processor (I hate it when my fans come on)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to go with the 13 MBP with the i7 processor. I figured I may need to use it with DVD's and to make CD's so that added drive was nice. That and the fact that my MBP will be sitting on my desk so portability won't be a huge issue( with the minor difference between the MBP and Air) I appreciate all of the inputs though, this is what I love about these forums, such helpful people.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices