Just Looked At A MBP At Best Buy

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
To add to the above that I just remembered was that I don't like the idea that the HDs in the Pro and not the SSDs but the Sata drives are only 5400rpms and to get 7200 you have to get custom from Apple meaning more $$$$$s

sai

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Also check out the Apple Refurbished store. I can see a MBP 13 for 1019 but with 4gb RAM. You can get 16gbs of memory for around 80 I guess.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was talking to 'D earlier about this and we spoke about getting just a MacBook not a Pro but going to the Apple website only available is either the Air or a MacBook Pro but no MacBook anymore that I can find. He has just a MacBook that he said he would get again if his died and that was a thought with me but i suppose not the case for me. Either the Air or the Pro.

They haven't had a regular macbook (non-pro) since 2009 i believe.

Keep in mind that the non-retina MBP's can have both HDD and SSD in them at the same time...it's a nice option for the 2011-2012 MBP models.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
These are my exact sentiments.....never really understood why MBP were really pricy......mac users...enlighten me on this.

The part that makes them pricey is the build. They are put together better than almost any other laptop you can find. Beyond that...it's name brand. I still prefer Windows 7 to Mountain Lion.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
While the MacBook Pro is an incredibly well built machine that in itself's wouldn't cost that much. Apple marks the price up because frankly they can. People will buy them regardless just on name alone.

I myself fell in love with a Mac when I was in IT at Amazon and after that wanted one for myself.

Are they too expensive? Probably and most don't need one and probably shouldn't buy one.

I still think windows 7 is a great platform and i would recommend it to most people. Honesty I think it is an easier OS for people that are tech savvy or at least with ones that have used windows before.

My wife absolutely hates my MacBook because of the OS and probably the price, hehe. Also she uses a windows 7 laptop at work.

I myself love most things about my MacBook Pro and mountain lion.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
These are my exact sentiments.....never really understood why MBP were really pricy......mac users...enlighten me on this.

The MacBook Pro with Retina display is simply a beautiful machine. Why do some folks buy a $15,000 Chevy and others buy a $70,000 Audi or Mercedes? Because in some people's minds, the Audi or Mercedes is better built and a more quality product. The same thing applies to Apple's products.

The MacBook Pro is made of quality, high end parts... and if one were to build a Windows laptop using the same quality parts (as opposed to some of the brands who use cheaper, often less reliable parts), there would be a smaller price difference between the products.

One of the major downfalls of the Windows platform, IMHO, is the plethora of components that can go into a Windows computer. Microsoft must integrate drivers for all of the various components into the OS and ensure that there are no inherent conflicts, problems, etc. With OS X, Apple uses a standard set of quality parts from high end manufacturers, so they only have a subset of products and drivers to support. With Windows, the end user (you) are left to find, install and configure drivers for the various hardware components. With OSX, Apple builds those drivers into the system, and for the most part, just makes it all work for the end user.

Also, IMHO, the MBP will last longer than a Windows machine. Perhaps it’s the quality components, perhaps it’s something else, but I know of and have heard of people still using fully functional, completely usable Mac computers that are 5, 6, 7 or more years old. Typically, the components in a Windows machine outlive their tech life long before that... so an investment of $1000 or $1500 will get you a usable machine for a longer period of time than a $600 or $700 Windows machine... don’t even think about the sub $500 Windows computers...

To quote Arthur C Clarke here, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

IMHO, the Apple product line is magical.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The battery life is what impacted my decision. I'm on campus over 12 hours some days and can't always guarantee outlet access. My handwriting is atrocious, so note taking is virtually a waste of time. I'm better served just listening and hoping I absorb the information. With a laptop, I can type faster than I can write anyway so one that'll last the day is a huge help.

Most of my courses have some PC usage required. This made it a bit more difficult to consider the MBP as I'd need the Windows solution regardless. Fortunately, most of the work in the Windows environment can be done at home, where I know I'll have the outlet.

As it's been stated, unless you're doing heavy graphical editing, the two machines are virtually identical. If you are, you should be looking at the Retina models regardless.

I've only really seen two differences with the MBP. I run both Windows and Mac on the MBP through a mixture of Boot Camp and Parallels. The battery life is only greater when running as a Mac. When using Windows, I experience the same shorter life that is associated with PC laptops. The difference is clearly built into the OS somewhere. The second is graphical abilities for gaming. I rarely play games, but they run much smoother on the Windows side than they do on the Mac side. It's an easy reboot to solve the once or twice a year I care for this, but it's something to look into if that's your style of computing.

I've had this MBP for just about 3 years now. It's still running solid. This is about when I'd cycle a PC, typically. This was my first Apple product.

Really, if I could guarantee the outlet, I most likely would have remained with the PC laptop.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Love my mbp for reasons others listed above: build, ecosystem, ease of use and reliability. It's especially nice as OS X and iOS overlap more and more?iMessage, PhotoStream to iPhoto, Notification Center, etc make the mobile/desktop divide ever smaller.

Got mine via Apple's refurbished store to save a few $$ (you get the same warranty) and will look there again when the day comes.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
They haven't had a regular macbook (non-pro) since 2009 i believe.

Keep in mind that the non-retina MBP's can have both HDD and SSD in them at the same time...it's a nice option for the 2011-2012 MBP models.

Right on both points about 2009 I found out and also was told that the HDD and SSD option is available. I could live with the 512GB SSD.

I am just taking my time and it will come to me what I want and which direction. More than likely a stock build will suit my needs.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The part that makes them pricey is the build. They are put together better than almost any other laptop you can find. Beyond that...it's name brand. I still prefer Windows 7 to Mountain Lion.

Can you send me you Mac then, Will email you my mailing address...lol:) I actually love my desktop PC with Windows 7 that I had custom built by Velocity Micro 2 years ago and never a problem.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to consider in the price of Macs is advertising. They (Apple) play a huge role in Product placement on TV shows that you cannot turn on a reality TV show or even regular show and not see iMacs, iPhone, MacBooks and everything Apple. The shows want them, Apple pays big bucks for the shows to use them and it all gets subliminal messages to the consumer watching them that I have to have an Apple product.
This has to play a big role in pricing.

phoneguru9

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

When you say build do you mean hardware.....as in apple spent a good number of hours putting together the best of the best in their macbooks........

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at the MBP myself, and honestly it doesn't surprise me the build quality is there. Apple knows how to build a product.

I'm going for the non retina. It's cheaper and slightly upgradable. My laptop gets tossed in a backpack on my bike and thrown in my car all the time. I typically use Lenovo stuff which takes a beating like nobody else.

To be honest, I looked at Windows machines first. I'm familiar with the Ecosystem. However, their latest moves have given me the bump I needed to walk away.

Windows 8 broke compatibility with enough of my software that I can move to anything. My games are all bought on Steam, and they mostly have Mac versions. I moved to Adobe Creative Cloud which works on both. The tuning software I use for cars and bikes has been found to work very well via Linux in Wine.

Between Windows 8, and the Xbox One fiasco, I'm done with Microsoft.

Nophix

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
When you say build do you mean hardware.....as in apple spent a good number of hours putting together the best of the best in their macbooks........

Look at the Ultrabooks on the Windows side. They're right up there in price, so Apple really isn't expensive at all when it comes to premium product. Considering the after sale support Apple offers, I'd argue its much better value these days.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Just got home from Best Buy and their sale and saw a nice MBP with 13.3 inch screen 500GB HD and 8GB of memory for $1,129.00. It had some great features and all I needed being my first Mac.

​I will be sleeping on it and maybe pull the trigger next week. What does anyone else think?

I have had a 2007 MBA for a long time. I loved it but stopped using it because it got slow :( I am now back to Mac on an MBP and am happy again. There is nothing wrong with a Windows PC, but the build, fit and finish on a MBP is amazing. I hate the propriety nature of the them, but it is getting better.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have had a 2007 MBA for a long time. I loved it but stopped using it because it got slow :( I am now back to Mac on an MBP and am happy again. There is nothing wrong with a Windows PC, but the build, fit and finish on a MBP is amazing. I hate the propriety nature of the them, but it is getting better.

From where I sit, the major drawback to a Windows PC is Windows itself - especially the evolution from Windows 7 to Windows 8. IMHO, Microsoft screwed the pooch with Win 8, and angered a lot of users. As OS X evolves, Apple is careful not to alienate its users in that fashion.

And I use a Lenovo for my work laptop, but we’re running Red Hat linux (been officially a "windows free zone" for several years) ... the Lenovo ThinkPad line is still solid, but again IMHO, the majority of the Windows PCs are pure crap. HP used to be decent, but I hear a lot of complaints these days about the build quality and cheap components.

I vote with my wallet... and I buy a new MBP every 4 or 5 years and pass the still very functional older unit down to another family member. If you’re spending your own cash, buy what works for you.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Why do you want a Mac in the first place? I use PC's at school, and am happy with them. Still using a 5 year old netbook at home when I need a PC. Only reason I ever bought a Mac was my other job...but I don't do anything with it that I couldn't do with the PC - I'm not a video, music, or image editor.

If you just want it because it's a Mac, you really need to consider the $$$$. $1200 today for a MBP that will last you 4-5 years. $700 today for a PC that will last you 3, and another $700 in 3 years for the latest, greatest that will last you another 3. Weigh it hard, my friend.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with this. If the person wants it because it is a Mac why is that not a real reason? because it cost more money? It's choice, I was a Windows user for years until a friend of mine was selling his Macbook Pro. I didn't need it because I'm into video, image editing, etc. I wanted it because it is a Mac and I could afford it.

Jag think about it but consider this you don't need to get rid of your windows machine use them both. I do it everyday. Just use the remote desktop app and you can run both from the Mac. Just remember the Mac will last you a long time, the support is great. So as long as you can afford it and all the software you need is available it's a great machine. There are things that I find much easier and more intuitive with a Mac plus the benefit of not having to run antivirus :)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with this. If the person wants it because it is a Mac why is that not a real reason? because it cost more money? It's choice, I was a Windows user for years until a friend of mine was selling his Macbook Pro. I didn't need it because I'm into video, image editing, etc. I wanted it because it is a Mac and I could afford it.

Jag think about it but consider this you don't need to get rid of your windows machine use them both. I do it everyday. Just use the remote desktop app and you can run both from the Mac. Just remember the Mac will last you a long time, the support is great. So as long as you can afford it and all the software you need is available it's a great machine. There are things that I find much easier and more intuitive with a Mac plus the benefit of not having to run antivirus :)

If someone can afford it, they can buy whatever they want. But then they don't need to ask for other people's opinions. If I have a few million dollars sitting in my checking account I will not ask your opinion on whether or not I should buy a Mazarati or a Chevrolet even if I only drive 20 miles/day.

Most people do not have a few million sitting in their checking accounts and have to be responsible with their money, and this includes having sound reasons for purchasing the more expensive of two items. This is why I ask for reasons behind wanting the more expensive. Most people want a Mac because it's a Mac. You won't keep it for 10 years, any more than you'll keep a phone or a PC for ten years. And for the price, you can update to the newest PC halfway through that 10 years, and still have spent less than what you would have spent on a Mac. Not to mention do everything you could do on a Mac, and then some.

It's nice that you can edit photos on a Mac, but manage a database on Mac? Give me my PC.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods