Airport Extreme Alternative

Sheikboy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

So I'm looking to connect my HardDrive to my Wireless Network (it's an external USB). It's something extra so I'm looking to Save (hence, no NAS's or Time Capsules for me). I'm looking at the Airport Extreme, however it's still a little too much for what I need it to do. I don't need a router with extra features, I just need a small box that will connect USB storage devices (so it needs USB Host I assume). Is there anything like that on the market? I briefly considered the PogoPlug but it only has Gigabit Ethernet...

Thanks!

Sheik

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would just recommend that you visit a nearby electronics store and have a look at their network hard drives and get a first hand look.

Sheikboy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't need a NAS. That's overly expensive for my needs. I have the storage, I just want a way for that storage to connect it to WiFi.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't need a NAS. That's overly expensive for my needs. I have the storage, I just want a way for that storage to connect it to WiFi.

If that storage device does not have built-in network capabilities then it has to be connected to a computer with sharing capabilities and has access to WI-Fi. Unless I misread your initial post, you said the hard drive is an external USB drive. Right? If so, you should be able to connect it to your computer, enable sharing with the external drive and then access it through the networked computer via Wi-Fi. I hope that made sense, and if I am misunderstanding what you're trying to do, I apologize.

Sheikboy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nono, you understand perfectly, I was just wondering if there was a device a-la Airport Extreme that just connects the harddrive to wireless without the "router" portion.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Reconsider the Pogoplug. They work well and do what you want. We have two. One has a 500GB drive attached, the other has a 2TB drive.

Sheikboy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A little more background about my setup will help here: My router is an Airport Express (the direct-into-wall version). It has USB but not USB Host (good for printers, doesn't send out power via USB though so Harddrives wont work). I have a small apartment so I really don't need a large router. Also Airport Express does not have two ethernet jacks, it just has the one where the Modem goes. This is why Wireless is a must here because I physically do not have an extra ethernet port in my router.

So ideally... think a wireless pogoplug :D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Yup. I can, and have, accessed my Pogoplug while sitting in Paris and my Pogoplug is sitting in my living room in the states.

Sheikboy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I mean if I'm going to spend 100+ dollars for the pogo+express, I might as well get an Airport Extreme... The whole point is to save money :D

Sheikboy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I basically just want to upload my iTunes Library onto my Hard Disk, but I don't to take up a USB slot. Plus, I have an HTPC running Windows 8 and I'd like to have that computer access the drive on the fly to pull movies, music etc.

So basically yeah, shared storage

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Look at keeping the iTunes library on the external drive, connected to the HTPC and use iTunes Home Sharing on other devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen