macbook pro problem - blue screen of death

thevizer

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I had a blue screen of death. After visiting a Genius Bar, the worker suggested it could be 1 of 2 things... either replace the hard drive or the logic board (logic board was a lot of money).

I replaced the hard drive, and it worked. for about a day. And then the same thing.

My question
: The computer was running really hot for a while... is it possible that the fan could be the problem, and not the logic board?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I suppose it could. I mean, it worked when you replaced the hard drive and I assume the connectors/cables aren't shorting out somewhere.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We need some more details from you before any advice can be really effective...a "blue screen" isn't relative to Macs, what exactly is it doing that you're referencing as the "blue screen"? Does the computer boot after this happens at all? Does it freeze on the Apple logo? Can you get it to boot into safe mode?

The fan COULD have been the problem before, but if the internals have already over heated and have been damaged, you're looking at the snowball effect with this...the processors and other things on the logic board are pretty durable, but are susceptible to heat damage like any kind of circuit board. Hard drive failure typically comes with some very specific symptoms that i didn't read in your initial post...so my guess is (unfortunately) that you may have a damaged logic board. Now you can avoid the big cost of the Apple repair by finding one online and having a 3rd party shop install it for you (or if you're inclined, doing it yourself), but you're still going to be shelling out a pretty substantial amount of money if the LB needs to be replaced.