I'm a new Mac user, having purchased an M1 Macbook Air 12/23, after 35 years as a Windows user. Previously, with my Windows laptops, if I've left them plugged in constantly, I would see battery degradation over time.

Since I mainly bought the Macbook Air as a desktop replacement, for now, I want to know if I should be concerned leaving it plugged into power all the time?

I plan on traveling quite a bit in 2021, which is why I went with the portability of the Macbook Air, but since I won't be traveling until later in the year, I wanted to ask opinions.

What I have been doing since I purchase it is letting it charge to 100%, then unplugging it and letting it run the battery down during normal usage during the day. I don't leave it plugged in at night, but plug it in again in the morning and let it charge.

I always shut down at the end of the day as well.

Thank you for any guidance.

Mike.
    01-09-2021 03:54 PM
    Normally, Apple laptop devices have a feature called Optimized Battery Charging, which will learn your pattern and will keep the battery at around 80% (personal experience on an Intel-based MacBook Pro, should be similar on Apple Silicon) when it is expected to be plugged in for extended periods.

Apple goes into much more detail in this support article: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211832
    mike.strock likes this.
    01-09-2021 06:18 PM
    Leaving it plugged in 24/7 might indeed start affecting the battery at some point, but I can’t say with any certainty. I would not leave it connected for long periods, especially if you’re not going to be using it. I mean, why risk it?
    mike.strock likes this.
    01-09-2021 07:06 PM
    I'll leave it plugged in during the day when I use it, but not at night. Thanks all. I just don't want to kill my battery before I actually use it as a 'laptop.'

I am loving it though, after Windows.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    01-09-2021 07:58 PM
    I'll leave it plugged in during the day when I use it, but not at night. Thanks all. I just don't want to kill my battery before I actually use it as a 'laptop.'

I am loving it though, after Windows.
    You’re welcome, sir. When I made the switch from using Windows to a Mac in 2009, it was a bit difficult for me, but it didn’t take long for me to see the benefits. Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy your new Mac, sir. Take care.
    mike.strock likes this.
    01-09-2021 08:22 PM