Will the 2015 MBA run macOS Big Sur & What ports does it have?

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I just bought an iPhone 11Pro Max about a month ago. I first bought an old SE to try out to see if I would like an iPhone and then moved up right away.

In the last month I’ve ported away from the Google ecosystem and moved everything to the Apple cloud.

I think it’s time to get my feet wet with an Apple laptop and planning to do the same as I did with the phone. Right now I’m looking at a 2015 MacBook Air with 8gigs and a 128 ssd. I don’t need anything heavy duty but I want to make sure it’s going to be practical as test machine. It’s running OS Catalina and the admin and firmware passwords have been cleared.

Can someone tell me what ports are going to be available on this machine ( I’m looking on Swappa), and will this machine be upgradeable to the latest OS?

Sorry if some of the questions seem stupid but the Apple world is still a learning process.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Help with uses MBA

I would also check Apple refurbished. You can get a MacBook Air for $849. It comes with 8Gb RAM and 256 Gb storage, 2 Thunderbolt 3-USB C 3.1 Gen. 2 ports. Looks like it is a 2020 year edition. All Apple refurbished come with 1 year warranty

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the info. I think I’ll buy this used one, if I like it I’m going to resell it and buy a new one anyway. That one for $849 is new but it’s an i3 and I think that would make me a little crazy.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thanks for the info. I think I’ll buy this used one, if I like it I’m going to resell it and buy a new one anyway. That one for $849 is new but it’s an i3 and I think that would make me a little crazy.

Though it is an Intel 10th generation i3.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
FYI - a friend let me borrow a 2015 MBA (working on a project). It has 8GB memory, and 256GB storage, and now currently running Big Sur, without issue.
Those new M1's are rather tempting. Alas, for the moment, no real option to run the likes of Parallels and Windows VM. Albeit, companies are working on a solution.

With Christmas around the corner, time to convince the Missus I need one of those M1's - LOL

ludovic leblan

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site

An Intel i3 of the 10th generation is much better than 6th generation I5