MBA 2020 vs MBP 13" 2020

talberry

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,

With the release of the new 13" MBP, I'm thinking which would be a better option: A basic to mid range MBP, or using the same budget to deck out the MBA (which appears to be a better deal for newer components)

Cos the MBA seems like its on the 10th generation i5, but the MBP seems to be using the 8th gen ones. Would that make a big difference?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've put lots of thought in this stuff being an IT director provisioning the stuff and because it's time for a personal purchase.

Run Activity Monitor to know where you might have bottlenecks and performance needs. Do you use programs that really need lots of performance and know what sort of performance that is. Do you render video or just have occasional spikes. Do you have several programs open and lots of browser tabs to see sustained CPU use and high memory utilization? Do you use physical F keys?

The price differences are close. The i7 Air will handle spikes of use better. The 13" Pro with quad core and the 10th general CPUs are designed for more demanding use and where heat might be more of an issue. The Air has a carry advantage. Pro has a color gamut advantage but Air still a high spec laptop in the spectrum of what's out there.

Full disclosure: I'm undecided because I really like light, thin and old school F keys. I use virtual machines often and do videos as a hobbyist. I don't always have the video demands but spinning up a VM automatically shares your CPU cores and bumps RAM use. I suspect I'll hear fans more with an Air but 4 years with a M5 MacBook sure makes the lighter and smaller computer attractive. A quad core 4 port 13" Pro will be hard to have second thoughts purchase except maybe being more power than many need.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a work-issues MacBook Air in which I use all day long with the screen rarely off and dozens of tabs open, spreadsheets and word docs open in the background as well as conferencing with Zoom, WebEx, etc., and it handles the job with ease. I have a MacBook Pro for personal use that I’ve also incorporated into my work and it, too, is a beast. With that being said, I don’t recall ever hearing the fan of the MBA, but I have heard it on the MBP on occasion.

Having used both extensively, If my MBP were to somehow crap out on me, I could easily see myself replacing it with an MBA.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a work-issues MacBook Air in which I use all day long with the screen rarely off and dozens of tabs open, spreadsheets and word docs open in the background as well as conferencing with Zoom, WebEx, etc., and it handles the job with ease. I have a MacBook Pro for personal use that I’ve also incorporated into my work and it, too, is a beast. With that being said, I don’t recall ever hearing the fan of the MBA, but I have heard it on the MBP on occasion.

Having used both extensively, If my MBP were to somehow crap out on me, I could easily see myself replacing it with an MBA.

This is really helpful! I am going back and forth on what type of Apple laptop or iPad to get. I think you just convinced me the Air will be enough. What configuration is your Air? Need to decide on that stuff next.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is really helpful! I am going back and forth on what type of Apple laptop or iPad to get. I think you just convinced me the Air will be enough. What configuration is your Air? Need to decide on that stuff next.

My work-issued MBA is a 2015 model with 256 GB Storage and 8 GB RAM. I’ve been with this particular company for 3 years and I’ve been using that MBA the entire time and it isn’t showing any signs of needing to be replaced.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
My work-issued MBA is a 2015 model with 256 GB Storage and 8 GB RAM. I’ve been with this particular company for 3 years and I’ve been using that MBA the entire time and it isn’t showing any signs of needing to be replaced.

Thank you! I’ve gone back and forth about whether to go with 16gb on any configuration. I think the Air would probably suite me just fine but I do love the brighter screen on the Pro. Much better for my eyes. And then there’s the 10th gen processor. Is it worth going up to $1799 on the Pro?! Having never owned a Mac I guess I wouldn’t know the difference.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
MBA 2020 vs MBP 13" 2020

Thank you! I’ve gone back and forth about whether to go with 16gb on any configuration. I think the Air would probably suite me just fine but I do love the brighter screen on the Pro. Much better for my eyes. And then there’s the 10th gen processor. Is it worth going up to $1799 on the Pro?! Having never owned a Mac I guess I wouldn’t know the difference.

Try to keep things in perspective. Can you justify the price difference based on your usage and projected usage day to day after the newness wears off? Sure the MBP is more powerful and has a better display, but is it justified in your case.

I love my MacBook Pro and I’m glad I bought it, but I cannot justify its price over the MBA. I bought it because I told myself the next MacBook I buy would be the MBP and I did. If I had not made that promise and was comparing the two objectively, there’s no way I could have justified going with the pro model for my usage.

Spec-wise, the MBP wins, but take away the display and possibly the touch bar, what can it do that the MBA can’t?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For the record, I’m not trying to persuade you not to get the MacBook Pro so please don’t think that. I’m just sharing my experience in an attempt to help you make a practical decision based on your computing needs.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
For the record, I’m not trying to persuade you not to get the MacBook Pro so please don’t think that. I’m just sharing my experience in an attempt to help you make a practical decision based on your computing needs.

Oh I didn’t take it that way at all. I truly appreciate your perspective. That’s why I asked. I know the Air would be the most sensible for my needs but sometimes I don’t always make the most sensible choice. Perfect example would be choosing the 11 Pro over the 11. Couldn’t pass up that nicer screen. The smaller size helped as well. I will more than likely give the Air a shot and see how I like it. If so I can use the extra money to upgrade my Apple Watch Series 1! . Thank you again. I always appreciate your point of view here.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh I didn’t take it that way at all. I truly appreciate your perspective. That’s why I asked. I know the Air would be the most sensible for my needs but sometimes I don’t always make the most sensible choice. Perfect example would be choosing the 11 Pro over the 11. Couldn’t pass up that nicer screen. The smaller size helped as well. I will more than likely give the Air a shot and see how I like it. If so I can use the extra money to upgrade my Apple Watch Series 1! . Thank you again. I always appreciate your point of view here.

You’re very welcome...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73