Nice refresh!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised there's not more talk of the updated Air. Now it's the perfect computer for a lot of people.

1. Real function keys for professionals.
2. Quad core option - now pros who use virtual machines won't be sharing two cores for a light and reasonably priced computer.
3. A better value for people who don't need the 4 core CPU.

I'm still nursing my beloved M5 MacBook (12 inch) toward end of life but now I don't have to be disappointed with the Air or live with or pay for that touch bar.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I love this new refresh, but I am still a few years away from needing a new MacBook. I'll keep using the one I have until it spits the bit or I can no longer get a working, supported, iCloud syncing version of MacOS to run on it, or about two or three more years goes by - whichever comes first.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised by the lack of excitement over this refresh. At the low end you have a well made general purpose laptop. A high end spec will get the quad core option that can go into the turbo mode even if you hear the fan, can have a 16 GB with 1 TB or 512 if you're a virtual machine user.

I suspect a new Pro between the Air and 16" will come but a high spec Air looks like a dream come true for a very much on the go tech professional. Nice for someone who does a lot of carrying your laptop.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised by the lack of excitement over this refresh. At the low end you have a well made general purpose laptop. A high end spec will get the quad core option that can go into the turbo mode even if you hear the fan, can have a 16 GB with 1 TB or 512 if you're a virtual machine user.

I suspect a new Pro between the Air and 16" will come but a high spec Air looks like a dream come true for a very much on the go tech professional. Nice for someone who does a lot of carrying your laptop.

I would suspect a lack of excitement is partially due to the current world pandemic. Most of us are quarantined, whether completely or partially. Some have lost their jobs or are currently not getting paid from being unable to work. A new Apple product, under those circumstances, is not important at this time. Know what I mean?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I would suspect a lack of excitement is partially due to the current world pandemic. Most of us are quarantined, whether completely or partially. Some have lost their jobs or are currently not getting paid from being unable to work. A new Apple product, under those circumstances, is not important at this time. Know what I mean?

Yep, this.

I was already planning to get a new pair or AirPod Pro’s in April, even before all this crap happened. Now I may hold off, mainly because right now I’m still working. I work for a company that supports essential businesses, like the state department of employment and workforce. But that doesn’t mean we may still get sent home. And unfortunately my duties don’t allow me to work remotely.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Yep, this.

I was already planning to get a new pair or AirPod Pro’s in April, even before all this crap happened. Now I may hold off, mainly because right now I’m still working. I work for a company that supports essential businesses, like the state department of employment and workforce. But that doesn’t mean we may still get sent home. And unfortunately my duties don’t allow me to work remotely.

I get these concerns and am with both of you.

As a matter of fact, I just wiped and updated a company owned "2015" 13" MacBook and if it's available for me to use will pursue my 12" MadBook getting the keyboard repair I believe might still exist. In addition to wear I have s key and space bar not always reliable.

That 12" gets more trade value than I expected and I also hate giving it up. I handled it with Air models in recent days and I just re-staged some iPads. All those on same desk makes the 12" MacBook very appealing.

These times you mention have me updating the spreadsheet I use with a list of must do and possible expenses coming up on same page as current cash and retirement summaries.

Still, I'm excited about a high spec Air. It seems so perfect for someone in IT admin like me and people who use virtual machine guests with Mac host to facilitate all the continuity and handoff stuff with your phone.

:)

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I got a base model last Sunday its brilliant. Was going to upgrade my 2018 11" iPad to a 12.9 but when i looked at the cost getting from my telco would of been double the price with the new magic keyboard. So got the air. Mainly wanted for out of my home/office use. I also have a late 2015 27" 5K iMac fusion with 24gb ram and the i3 air for my average usages seems on par.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner