How to run a diagnostic?

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering if there is a way to run a diagnostic on a 2017 MacBook Air?
My air is about 8 months old. I have never had any problems with it to date.
This morning I got to work and opened my Air. After opening it, it started to make a noise that seemed to be coming from underneath the bottom right hand side. To the right of the trackpad.
It wasn't the normal fan sound that comes after running it hard for a while.
I restarted the MacBook and the noise hasn't come back....
So yeah, just looking to see if there is anything I can do on my end, and kind of test or what not to make sure everything is still running smoothly?

TIA

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering if there is a way to run a diagnostic on a 2017 MacBook Air?
My air is about 8 months old. I have never had any problems with it to date.
This morning I got to work and opened my Air. After opening it, it started to make a noise that seemed to be coming from underneath the bottom right hand side. To the right of the trackpad.
It wasn't the normal fan sound that comes after running it hard for a while.
I restarted the MacBook and the noise hasn't come back....
So yeah, just looking to see if there is anything I can do on my end, and kind of test or what not to make sure everything is still running smoothly?

TIA

Shut your Mac down completely. Then boot it up and immediately press and hold the D key. That should boot it into diagnostic mode.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Shut your Mac down completely. Then boot it up and immediately press and hold the D key. That should boot it into diagnostic mode.

Thanks. Just ran one. Said no issues found so hopefully thats a good sign. Maybe it was just a random thing.
I am a little on the paranoid side right now because I just had a Seagate hard drive crash on me...

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Just ran one. Said no issues found so hopefully thats a good sign. Maybe it was just a random thing.
I am a little on the paranoid side right now because I just had a Seagate hard drive crash on me...

Make sure you're keeping your data backed up just in case. The diagnostics tool is alright but it may not find it all. You may also try running a First Aid through Disk Utility.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2