What size SSD and processor to get?

Natasha Jean

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I’m an elementary school teacher looking to buy my first Mac. I’d mainly use it for word/pages, some smartboard activity, music and the internet. This is my first Mac.

I’m looking at the Air. I wasn’t sure if I should get the basic unit 128gb and i5 processor, or spend the 310.00 to upgrade to 256gb and i7 processor. Most of my files are saved to the cloud, I don’t save a lot to my actual computer. Also, does anyone have any experience on how long a Mac should last?

Last edited:

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

Since you save most things to the cloud the 128 GB should be fine. You will never really use the i7 processor unless you were video editing or gaming. The i5 will be fine. If you do feel you need more space you could always go with an external drive for additional storage. Much cheaper. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro that still works like a dream. Most Macs will last several years. Thanks!

Chronoman

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
My Macbook Air is a mid 2011 model. It came with the i7 and 256 SSD, and still works just fine. However, the battery is nearing the end of it's life span, now holding a charge for around 2 hours instead of 10.

Big problem: do I buy a new computer, or get a new battery?

Hope this helps the OP with his problem...

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I'm a new MacBook Air owner here and so far the only reason I'd say you would need more than the standard 128 GB storage option is if you plan to Duelboot with Windows 10. I did this and Windows runs great on Mac. I've been using "Windows" since before it existed. (MS DOS) That said, I'm really starting to prefer Mac OS and deleted the Windows partition. Where space was lacking for that type of setup, I'm back to being fine now. I also agree with the above poster that suggested the external HDD for just storage of files. That's what I do and its a solid solution.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2