How do you guys manage your storage on your 128 SSD of your MacBook Air ?

hugohugo974

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Hello !

I wanted to know how do you guys manage your storage on 128 GB SSD of your macbook air ? Or other mac ! What software do you have installed ? If you are use the cloud, how do you use it etc ...

Thanks ! :D

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

I have an iMac with a 1TB Fusion Drive. I manage my drive by using external drives. I have 3 external drives I use. G-Tech 5TB, Seagate Personal Cloud 5TB and a Promise Pegasus2 R8 48TB RAID. The two 5 TB drives I use for backup. Both are clones of my iMac with one being my own personal cloud. My Promise Pegasus2 R8 is for all my storage.

I manage several websites and do design work so needless to say I have several TB's of files to store. Plus I maintain my music and movies I purchase on my Promise Pegasus2 R8. I keep only the programs I run on my iMac. This allows my iMac to run very smoothly. I run the Adobe Creative Suites Master Collection as well as several video editing programs. I still haven't filled the SSD part of my drive.

My best suggestion is to find some decent external drives. Yes they can be costly but in the end it has made a huge difference on how my iMac functions. Hope this info helps you. Thanks.

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
I bought the 2017 MacBook Air 128gb version two months ago.. I hover around 80-90gb of free space.

All of my word processing is done in the cloud through Outlook.

Some other programs I have installed include Chrome (because Safari doesn't always play nice with some websites), Spotify, BitDefender, Slack, Discord, Memory Clean 2.. I do have Word and Excel installed only for when I have to do stuff and I don't have internet access.

Have a few other programs installed.

I haven't gone under 80gb though.

For Cloud Storage I used OneDrive and Droplr (iMore had a great deal for Droplr last year that I was able to snag)

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
On my 128 GB Air, I have 1100 docs, 1550 songs, 37 videos, 950 pictures, 10 GB of Apps, apparently 10 GB of iOS Files (I'm guessing something to do with iCloud and my Mac talking to my iPhone), and I still have 35 GB free. More access to more stuff than I ever need on a daily basis, but it's there.

I also have a portable drive where I store additional rarely used files and manual backups of all my docs, pics, music, etc. And I do have a couple of Cloud accounts where I throw stuff that is nice to have available when on the move, but is neither essential nor private info.
Oh, and a couple USBs tossed in there for bits and pieces and backups.
Belt & Suspenders.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I was just coming here to ask this question. I just got a company issued MBA with only 128gb as a software dev and I have 75gb left. I also have an iMac 5k with 2TB Fusion Drive so coming to a MBA with such little storage is jarring.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
How do you know that you are filling the SSD part of a Fusion Drive? I can't tell...I need to pick up some drives as well. I have a TB left but I want to get more media and I just got this iMac in January. It's half filled.

don-stone

Feb 22, 2017
Visit site
I clean it regularly with the cleaner app, MacFly Pro. It scans the whole drive, deletes duplicates and all unused or big files on your Mac. I don't remember but if i'm right there is a trial version. you can try manage your memory and delete all the data you never use

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Define 'manage'. On my 128GB Air, I have 1560 songs, 42 vids (movies, TV episodes), 1000 photos, 1150 docs (Word, PDF), and a small range of 3rd Party apps (all in all, more stuff than I really need on the thing for day-to-day operation) and still have 33GB free.

Now, I do have a portable external drive, where I have placed stuff I need to access even less often, and a manual backup (as well as one for Time Machine), but otherwise, as far as general housekeeping is concerned, I use Ccleaner for general gack cleaning, and, maybe once a month, I use Onyx.

Having had notebooks with bigger drives, I know that there is always stuff that fills the available space, but I've come to realize most of it I never really needed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711