Would it be enough??

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I already own a late 2014 iMac, which is still capable of running for a few more years... no complaints there.

But, it's not really portable of course... so I'm looking for something simplistic, for light text-work, emails, and Skype chatting.
It will NOT Be used as my daily system of choice, since I have my iMac for that... it's purely meant for travelling purposes.
(keeping in touch with family and clients when I'm abroad)

- Would the cheapest configuration of the MacBook Air be sufficient for this?
And how is the webcam quality, is it smooth?

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely say YES. The MacBook Air is capable of much more and will be great for your needs.

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
I bought the mid-2017 128gb model of the MacBook Air last week. The webcam on it is pretty good. No complaints here on anything so far with this device. Love it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I would say yes... the MacBook Air will be more than enough to meet your needs. You'll love how portable it is too!

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I bought the mid-2017 128gb model of the MacBook Air last week. The webcam on it is pretty good. No complaints here on anything so far with this device. Love it.
I just ordered mine! ;)
Looking forward to it...

(becoming a real family-member now... lol --> iMac, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air)

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
Did you get the 128gb or go for the 256gb?

I wish Best Buy had the larger one on sale, but not complaining about the smaller one. Out of the box it had about 100gb which is more than enough.

Let us know what you think once you get it! :D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I already own a late 2014 iMac, which is still capable of running for a few more years... no complaints there.

But, it's not really portable of course... so I'm looking for something simplistic, for light text-work, emails, and Skype chatting.
It will NOT Be used as my daily system of choice, since I have my iMac for that... it's purely meant for travelling purposes.
(keeping in touch with family and clients when I'm abroad)

- Would the cheapest configuration of the MacBook Air be sufficient for this?
And how is the webcam quality, is it smooth?

I would say yes to your question.

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site

I wish Best Buy had the larger one on sale, but not complaining about the smaller one. Out of the box it had about 100gb which is more than enough.

I went for the 128GB version...

At the moment I'm not willing to invest much in a MacBook, since it's not my everyday's working system anyway (my iMac is), it's only meant for when I'm away from home.
Maybe in a few years I'll go for a more expensive one.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

At the moment I'm not willing to invest much in a MacBook, since it's not my everyday's working system anyway (my iMac is), it's only meant for when I'm away from home.

Congrats! The Air is awesome for light work and portability. Sounds like it’s right in your price point too.

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
Nice. So the same model as I got. I love this thing.

Tried some 'light gaming' (IE: Hearthstone) and it works well. I have a laptop cooling pad that I use as well (I've always used these on all my laptops.. some of my Windows laptops got awfully hot). But ya, definitely no extreme gaming on this, haha. Just wanted a small game or two to pass the time if I'm out or putting around with the laptop.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely say yes. In fact, I was going to suggest you taking a look at an iPad (not a pro or Mini) for what you do (simple text related tasks out of home). Now, you already purchased one with 128Gb, congrats!
As for the question of storage, I do not have an Air (I have a MBP with 256Gb), but again, for what you intend to do with it, 128Gb sounds more than adequate. Is Air's storage upgradable later?
One of the reasons I simply chose 256Gb is because Apple charge too much for simple storage memory, I can upgrade it later if I ever ned it, and I use Cloud storages, 50Gb iCloud storage for storing critical Mac related library documents etc and 1T OneDrive, which comes with a subscription of Office 365. All these cost but worth the money.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

ConGradulations ...ENJOY

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

When I originally bought my Air (mid-2011, 4GB , 128GB - the week after the 2012 models hit the street, so a sale price offered there), I was coming full time to Mac - having mostly used Windows since 3.1 - and was initially concerned about the storage available, trained as I had been to 'more is better' and 128 GB (and, for that matter, 256) seemed pretty meagre.

But I soon discovered my concern was for nought - finding that all the stuff I use on a regular basis (and some I don't) still left me with plenty of wiggle room. Sure, I moved some archival stuff onto a portable external drive, but even with over 1000 docs, 45 videos, 1600 tunes, 1000 pics and miscellaneous apps and upgrades to the OS, I've currently got 30GB free. And this 2011 model still ticking along fine (knock on wood).

If I grab and go with my Air - sometimes for weeks at a time - I feel fairly confident I have everything I need with me. And the ability to direct access any peripheral I might need along the way - something an iPad can't do.

Enjoy! The last affordable, capable, MacBook seems willing on selling...

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy! The last affordable, capable, MacBook seems willing on selling...

I like your last comment.

As much as I would like a MacBook Pro with fancy touch bar and etc, I just feel like the Air is the best bang for the buck! I am not ready to migrate over to specifically USB C, and I don't think the consumer market in general is.
The majority of people now are just discovering 128GB+ USB flash drives and such. Even USB C charging cables that come with phones are still USB A on one end. While USB C is an awesome connection with a lot of benefits, USB A still has its place in the technology world. We shouldn't need an adapter for it quite yet.

Also, I can't carry any more damn adapters, cords, etc in my gadget pouch!!!!

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
I like your last comment.

As much as I would like a MacBook Pro with fancy touch bar and etc, I just feel like the Air is the best bang for the buck! I am not ready to migrate over to specifically USB C, and I don't think the consumer market in general is.
The majority of people now are just discovering 128GB+ USB flash drives and such. Even USB C charging cables that come with phones are still USB A on one end. While USB C is an awesome connection with a lot of benefits, USB A still has its place in the technology world. We shouldn't need an adapter for it quite yet.

Also, I can't carry any more damn adapters, cords, etc in my gadget pouch!!!!
I don't think I'll have problems with storage on this.
But man I still can't get over how grest it is.

Last year I got a lifetime unlimited subscription to droplr for 49 bucks through imore. Been using that to store all my files. I have cloud storage coming out the wazoo lol

I'm just trying to figure out what programs I should have to make the most of the macbook air

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
... I have cloud storage coming out the wazoo lol

I'm just trying to figure out what programs I should have to make the most of the macbook air

Well, I'm not going to touch anything to do with your wazoo and what may be coming out of it...

Meanwhile, while I have a couple of (all free) cloud storage options I use, I use them as 'belt and suspenders' backup only - and do not keep anything of real value on them. I never assume they'll always be there and/or accessible wherever I go - and I always have multiple local copies on different storage options (Whatever happened to floppies? Exactly).

As for what to load onto your Air - well, it much depends on what you want to be able to do with it. The OS's resident apps - or those Apple ones free to download from the Store - cover pretty much everything. Specialty word processors, super detailed photo manipulation?

Let's face it - for a majority of us, the Internet saved the personal computer. Had it not been for the Internet, the Air would be a word processor, sometime graphic arts generator and we'd all be playing Chess and 'Leisure Suit Larry'.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711