Macbook Air 2017!

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
Greetings!

I normally hang out on the Android and Windows side of the site, but I'm popping over here.. Picked up the 2017 Macbook Air (only the 128gb SSD version) as it was on sale for 999$ at Best Buy Canada (200$ off).

Holy noodle Batman have I been missing out. I have a gaming desktop, but I like the feel and look of the Macs! I've had iPhones and iPads in the past (like the feel and look, not a fan of iOS personally).
Was using this most of the day yesterday and got great battery life with the screen at full brightness. Fast as heck too. Didn't buy it for any sort of gaming, more just to putt around on, internet, work, word-processing.

Do I, or do I not, though, get AppleCare? I have some time to decide obviously.

Also, any suggestions on a virus scanner for Mac? Still getting my feet wet with software. Using FireFox and I have MS Office Business (as I can get it through work for 13$). But so far so good! :)

Just excited about the new Mac! :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and Congrats on your new MacBook. I would suggest getting Apple Care, these Laptops nowadays cost to much not to have some kinda of protection. Of course that's just my opinion. Thanks for joining iMore, hope to see you around the forums. Enjoy.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Spencerdl. If you can swing it, go ahead and get AppleCare + for it, just in case......In the meantime, welcome, and if you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Take care...

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Welcome dude. I am in the same boat as you. Just picked up two MacBook Air's for my wife and I two weeks ago. Was always a Windows user before that, and havent looked back since. Our HP laptop breaking was the best thing for us.

And now, two weeks later, I have switched from an Android phone to an iPhone 7...its only a matter of time for you! Don't fight it!

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
I actually just went to a Samsung S7 back in February from a iPhone 6 Plus. Personally, for my phone.. I like Android for the customization I can do to it.

Got Bit Defender for Mac for my virus scanner. Staples had a good price on a 2 year subscription. Also was reading that BD seems to be the least processor intensive of most of them out there. So far so good!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I actually just went to a Samsung S7 back in February from a iPhone 6 Plus. Personally, for my phone.. I like Android for the customization I can do to it.

Got Bit Defender for Mac for my virus scanner. Staples had a good price on a 2 year subscription. Also was reading that BD seems to be the least processor intensive of most of them out there. So far so good!

It's always fun to be able to customise a certain part of your device. I do miss being able to do that with my Samsung, but it seems like I'll stay with Apple for a really long time.

Are you just using the S7 now?

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
It's always fun to be able to customise a certain part of your device. I do miss being able to do that with my Samsung, but it seems like I'll stay with Apple for a really long time.

Are you just using the S7 now?
Yup. Love my S7. Haha. Next year I might upgrade to the S9. Will see. I didn't like the feel of the S8 personally. To each their own :)

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I moved to Mac full-time - having been a Microsoft guy - back with the purchase of my 2011 Air. A bit of a learning curve - still new discoveries as I go along - but it's still going strong. Glad you're having a blast with your purchase.

Though I never used it, I too would tell you to get AppleCare if you can swing it. No HDD to worry about, but 'stuff happens'.

Diehard Macolytes continue to insist that the OS doesn't need a virus scanner, but as the Mac has grown in popularity / market share, its also grown in attention from those who intend to do harm. And Apple hasn't always been the fastest off the mark in acknowledging / then fixing problems that users report.
Anyhoo, I use a virus scanner as a belt-and-suspenders move - and as I use a free one, it costs me nothing (and this one has very little drag on resources), so what's the downside?

I use Avira Free Antivirus for Mac - its not available thru the Mac Store, but a Google will find it. Fairly full-featured and it allows you set update / scan schedule and is 'always on'.

Avira is well-respected and reviewed - independent organization AV-Comparatives rates it pretty highly (https://www.av-comparatives.org/mac-security-reviews/) and I've never had a problem.

Your Air's default Security setting may not initially let you install an application from outside the Mac store, but that can easily be tweaked to allow for this. Come back here if you need guidance on that.

Enjoy your new Air - glad you got in the door (and on sale!) before Apple kills off its most affordable and useful Mac.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I moved to Mac full-time - having been a Microsoft guy - back with the purchase of my 2011 Air. A bit of a learning curve - still new discoveries as I go along - but it's still going strong.

Enjoy your new Air - glad you got in the door (and on sale!) before Apple kills off its most affordable and useful Mac.

These comments right here are two of my main reasons for going with the Air.
IMO, using a laptop from 2011 and having it still go strong is amazing! And almost unheard of from any of the windows laptops I have purchased!

And then regarding the capability of the Air compared to the rest of Apples lineup right now. Look at all the ports!!! While I am all for USB C, I am not ready for all the other ports to be just killed off like that and replaced with a single USB C port....call me silly I know...

OmegaPrime85

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
I moved to Mac full-time - having been a Microsoft guy - back with the purchase of my 2011 Air. A bit of a learning curve - still new discoveries as I go along - but it's still going strong. Glad you're having a blast with your purchase.

Though I never used it, I too would tell you to get AppleCare if you can swing it. No HDD to worry about, but 'stuff happens'.

Diehard Macolytes continue to insist that the OS doesn't need a virus scanner, but as the Mac has grown in popularity / market share, its also grown in attention from those who intend to do harm. And Apple hasn't always been the fastest off the mark in acknowledging / then fixing problems that users report.
Anyhoo, I use a virus scanner as a belt-and-suspenders move - and as I use a free one, it costs me nothing (and this one has very little drag on resources), so what's the downside?

I use Avira Free Antivirus for Mac - its not available thru the Mac Store, but a Google will find it. Fairly full-featured and it allows you set update / scan schedule and is 'always on'.

Avira is well-respected and reviewed - independent organization AV-Comparatives rates it pretty highly (https://www.av-comparatives.org/mac-security-reviews/) and I've never had a problem.

Your Air's default Security setting may not initially let you install an application from outside the Mac store, but that can easily be tweaked to allow for this. Come back here if you need guidance on that.

I got a two year bit defender subscription. Seems to be working fine and low ram useage. Have 8gb ram do not overly worried.

I did run into that problem of installing software but got around it.

Love the MacBook so far. And it's much sexier looking then the windows laptops out there

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I got a two year bit defender subscription. Seems to be working fine and low ram useage. Have 8gb ram do not overly worried.

I did run into that problem of installing software but got around it.

Love the MacBook so far. And it's much sexier looking then the windows laptops out there

Bitdefender is, I understand, a good bet on the paid AV front - so I'm sure you'll be fine there. I guess I just resent paying a 'subscription' for software I've already bought - hence my move to the 'free'.

I hear you on the MS Office Suite - its still the de facto Office Suite / file system for many - Apple's own free offerings pretty, but almost entirely useless for real world application. Meanwhile, I also 'get' having it installed locally rather than relying on Microsoft's virtual '365' service. I had Office 2011 (Student / Home) installed on my Air initially, but recently I was upgraded to the current full version thru work. All works just fine on the Air. If there is an issue with Office Suite, Outlook still doesn't play well with Gmail. Promises of fixes there by the end of the year...we shall see.

Firefox (my initial browser preference too) is a bit of a pig on Mac - takes up a lot of resources to run - but with 8GB RAM, you should be fine. Promises of a leaner Firefox down the road, but I'm not holding my breath. Safari is 'lighter', but its missing a number of extensions I consider important for my use of the internet. Currently making do with Chrome as somewhere between the two - but it seems with each version, their new 'features' make it less useful or user-friendly. Stop me if that sounds familiar with lots of software these days...

Anyhoo, enjoy the ride!

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Love the Air.

My 2013 base configuration model still is going strong, dual booting Sierra and Windows 10, 95% battery health.

Treat the Air well, it'll last.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Greetings!

I normally hang out on the Android and Windows side of the site, but I'm popping over here.. Picked up the 2017 Macbook Air (only the 128gb SSD version) as it was on sale for 999$ at Best Buy Canada (200$ off).

Holy noodle Batman have I been missing out. I have a gaming desktop, but I like the feel and look of the Macs! I've had iPhones and iPads in the past (like the feel and look, not a fan of iOS personally).
Was using this most of the day yesterday and got great battery life with the screen at full brightness. Fast as heck too. Didn't buy it for any sort of gaming, more just to putt around on, internet, work, word-processing.

Do I, or do I not, though, get AppleCare? I have some time to decide obviously.

Also, any suggestions on a virus scanner for Mac? Still getting my feet wet with software. Using FireFox and I have MS Office Business (as I can get it through work for 13$). But so far so good! :)

Just excited about the new Mac! :)

Welcome to iMore and your new Air! It would be well worth the money to get Apple Care...you never know what will happen...Enjoy!

I have Office for Mac on all my Apple computers (iMac and 2 Airs) and found everything compatible.

Feel free to come back anytime with questions...we're here to help.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner