Turbo Boost

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Am in the market for a Macbook Air,,, heading towards the standard config 1.6Gig, however how do know when a Mac "turbo boosts" up to their max speed as to infuse buying decision ?

E.g You can get possibly get away with a lower spec Mac and save money knowing some software *could* take up to the max that cpu can run to, vs just paying the money out right for a better machine in the first place..

I don't wanna spend money if i don't have to. Of course, if u use intensive based cpu software more, then the decision is easier then using it the default cofig every now and then.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
No idea when 'turbo-boost' kicks in - its always come across to me as advertising hyperbole, much like advertising banners on cereal boxes or laundry detergent promising features that kick in when needed, even when the ingredients stay the same. I do know that occasionally the fan will kick in and be be quite audible as I do some rare heavier work / multitask, but is that when its turbo boosting, or just getting hot?

Meanwhile, with recent pricing and model changes, the MBA is already the cheapest Mac notebook you can get, while specs and user arguments suggest the 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 is already more powerful than the significantly pricier bottom end 'new' MacBook with 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core m3 processor.

Really, it all depends on what your intended use / applications are. I'm going to suggest that for most SOHO, home or student uses (unless you're looking at CAD or heavy-duty video editing) - and if you want a light, mobile, real computer - the MBA will be fine.

ADDENDUM: And if you're considering the MBA (or, frankly, any Apple product), I'd suggest you visit their online Refurb store to save some bucks. Here is where returns, buyer remorse, wrong specs or sometimes a broken product are sold, after having gone thru a full factory restoration. Same warranties (including being eligible for AppleCare) and often, free shipping. Stock fluctuates, but always worth a visit.
Apple is getting 'better' at hiding this resource, but here's the US one - https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2874016%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=5HF71iyc

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox