Retina MacBook Air 2017 or Early 2018

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else waiting for a retina MBA next year? I am hoping that Apple keeps at least a single USB port on this one and keeps the Magsafe charger. Unless Apple already killed it with the new MacBook and thinner MacBook Pro.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have a gut feeling that the MBA is no longer going to be around. The MacBook and now the MacBook Pro are almost the same as the Air.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I don't think the MBA in any form will make the cut next year. I think it's toast, as Apple pushes users to the pricier (but underwhelming) MacBook as the 'base' MacOS notebook, or to the even more underwhelming iPad Pro. As for ports, that seems to actively conflict with Ive's vision of what a notebook should look like - form over function has always been a challenge with Apple, but I can see it only getting worse. Probably a charging pad and no ports at all, relying entirely on wi-fi, bluetooth or a proprietary wireless connection to peripherals - but it'll sure look cool...

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Frankly, I don't think the MBA in any form will make the cut next year. I think it's toast, as Apple pushes users to the pricier (but underwhelming) MacBook as the 'base' MacOS notebook, or to the even more underwhelming iPad Pro. As for ports, that seems to actively conflict with Ive's vision of what a notebook should look like - form over function has always been a challenge with Apple, but I can see it only getting worse. Probably a charging pad and no ports at all, relying entirely on wi-fi, bluetooth or a proprietary wireless connection to peripherals - but it'll sure look cool...

I mean its not like I use USB that much anymore other than keyboard and mice, but I don't like the fact that Apple's own phones can't connect to their computers without using a dongle.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I mean its not like I use USB that much anymore other than keyboard and mice, but I don't like the fact that Apple's own phones can't connect to their computers without using a dongle.

Well, I'm already dealing with a dongle / hub using USB to connect a couple of printers, external speakers and a iPhone sync cable (the other USB on my MBA 11" for my Time Machine HDD) when I am at home, so I guess not a lot of difference between dongles. I'm guessing Apple may eventually produce a Lightning > USB-C cable to accommodate the situation you describe because, while they already have wireless sync'ing available between iPhone and Mac, iTunes still needs a hardwire situation to do updates and restores to the phone - and an additional dongle where other phone providers don't need one will not be helpful to Apple.

But there is still the issue of the 'lost' multiple ports on Macs (USB, Firewire, SD Card reader - plus MagSave) which speaks less to user functionality in a mobile context than to 'but it sure looks cool'. Again, I think Apple is eventually going to do away with all ports to accommodate that. Add to that the lack of horsepower in the 'new' MacBook and the reports of wimpy batteries and RAM limitations in the Pro, and it really is form over function.

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a gut feeling that the MBA is no longer going to be around. The MacBook and now the MacBook Pro are almost the same as the Air.

and more expensive in some countries.. i don't think Apple will care about that though. Why would i wanna pay a few hundred or so more here in Australia for a 12" ? Just because it has USB-C...

I buy what i feel happy with.. but i think the 'Retina" won't come to MBA even if it does suvive, because u need a better GPU for one..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative