RIP MacBook Air

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Anyone gonna miss the option?
During the #AppleEvent today, Apple made it clear how proud they were of their new MacBook Pro – and they have every reason to be. With the new Touch bar alone, the shiny new MacBook's are easily the best made and most innovative machines Apple has released to date.

But as the event went on, those who love their MacBook Air were left with a quick note: there would actually be no new MacBook Air. Instead, vice president Phil Schiller encouraged those who are interested in the MacBook Air to instead check out the new 13-inch MacBook Pro

RIP MacBook Air - Hello to the new MacBook Pro! | iMore

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh dang. This is all news to me, being that I was at work during Apple's event. All I can say is "wow".

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
So now I'm forced to buy a MacBook Pro 2016? Ugh! Another $2k, my missus is going to scream at me, I know it...

It is so beneficial to read articles!?!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So now I'm forced to buy a MacBook Pro 2016? Ugh! Another $2k, my missus is going to scream at me, I know it...

It is so beneficial to read articles!?!

There's still the MacBook Nothing, and the MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar starts at $1,499. But what fun is that?

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yup, dumping the 11", their most affordable Mac - one assumes because they think it's direct competition to their iPad Pro - while keeping the 13" and, in not doing anything with it, make it seem undesirable to those who like annual bells and whistles.

Meanwhile, they've cranked the price in their underwhelming MacBook and, thanks largely to the touch bar, also boosted the Pro's price to a level almost guaranteed to only attract the most rabid Macolyte.

Their recent iPad Pro ads says it all - why have a computer when you can have an iPad Pro instead - iOS being a far better conduit to direct content from the Apple Store for them. They've lost interest in computers and are trying to price them to force users to iOS.

For those students and others who don't want / can't afford to fork over the Apple Tax and who liked the form and function of the 11", its possible they'll go elsewhere seeking a 'real' computer. At less than the price of a basic iPad.

Last edited:

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Love my MacBook Air 13". Might actually get the latest 13" one even though mine (previous model) is working perfectly. Was thinking of getting an 11" for portability's sake (iPads don't have all the features I need for every day use) but I missed that opp. Still not convinced I'd like using the USB-C for now which is why I haven't seriously considered the Macbook.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Love my MacBook Air 13". Might actually get the latest 13" one even though mine (previous model) is working perfectly. Was thinking of getting an 11" for portability's sake (iPads don't have all the features I need for every day use) but I missed that opp. Still not convinced I'd like using the USB-C for now which is why I haven't seriously considered the Macbook.

You haven't entirely missed the opp on the 11" - they're still in the stores (one assumes until the new stock arrives and so they can thin out the stock somewhat), but still at full price. Meanwhile, though they've pulled the 11" from the Store, they should have something of a stock available for awhile in their own refurb store. These are units that have been returned - buyer's remorse, wrong specs, something not working - and they're given a thorough rebuild/refinishing (one might argue better than 'factory') and made available at a discount. Usually includes free shipping / returns and you can buy AppleCare for them, too.

Apple is getting 'better' at hiding this outlet on their website, but the US location is here - Refurbished Mac - Apple Certified - Apple

I'm not a fan of the USB-C (even less so now that it will also be replacing the magsafe power connector) - or the keyboard, price or horsepower of the new MacBook. Could be my little 11" Air will be last Mac I own. And it won't be replaced by an iPad Pro, though I know that is Apple's wish.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You haven't entirely missed the opp on the 11" - they're still in the stores (one assumes until the new stock arrives and so they can thin out the stock somewhat), but still at full price. Meanwhile, though they've pulled the 11" from the Store, they should have something of a stock available for awhile in their own refurb store. These are units that have been returned - buyer's remorse, wrong specs, something not working - and they're given a thorough rebuild/refinishing (one might argue better than 'factory') and made available at a discount. Usually includes free shipping / returns and you can buy AppleCare for them, too.

Apple is getting 'better' at hiding this outlet on their website, but the US location is here - Refurbished Mac - Apple Certified - Apple

I'm not a fan of the USB-C (even less so now that it will also be replacing the magsafe power connector) - or the keyboard, price or horsepower of the new MacBook. Could be my little 11" Air will be last Mac I own. And it won't be replaced by an iPad Pro, though I know that is Apple's wish.

Thanks!

I hope they come out with something better so this won't be the last Mac for you. And nope - iPads won't replace my laptops either!

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
You can get urself a cheaper one by buying a iPad Pro 12.9 inch, 128GB and adding a keyboard.

Pro: The screen is 1.3 inches bigger than the Air 11.6, Cheaper
Con: iOS not OS X, no USB ports

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You can get urself a cheaper one by buying a iPad Pro 12.9 inch, 128GB and adding a keyboard.

Pro: The screen is 1.3 inches bigger than the Air 11.6, Cheaper
Con: iOS not OS X, no USB ports

While I agree that an iPad Pro is a viable option, there are a lot of sacrifices to be made moving from macOS to an iOS device like an iPad. One of the biggest hurdles for most users is the lack of a traditional file system in iOS. Also, Safari in iOS can be limiting as well if you visit web sites that use Flash content. Power users will have a particularly difficult time making the switch.

I'm a heavy iPad Pro user and it suits me well, for the most part. I still find myself pulling out my MacBrook Pro from time to time because my iPad just won't do what I need it to do.

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
While I agree that an iPad Pro is a viable option, there are a lot of sacrifices to be made moving from macOS to an iOS device like an iPad. One of the biggest hurdles for most users is the lack of a traditional file system in iOS. Also, Safari in iOS can be limiting as well if you visit web sites that use Flash content. Power users will have a particularly difficult time making the switch.

I'm a heavy iPad Pro user and it suits me well, for the most part. I still find myself pulling out my MacBrook Pro from time to time because my iPad just won't do what I need it to do.

Yeah, that's why I added a con as iOS not OSX and I really don't get the craze behind the iPad Pro as an alternative to a laptop.

Freak_1988

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I never had 1 bt I have used 1 f my friend's & heard so many good things from so many people abt Macbook Air...It was definitely a iconic gadget..

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I must of missed that part..

Probably because the Macbook Pro with touch bar is too thin and with only USB-C, it probably mimics of a MBA..

Still,, i would still say there is still a reason... because the Retina is still a 'Pro' machine, and always will be.. so you would still need something to fill 'the gap'

there are a lot of sacrifices to be made moving from macOS to an iOS device like an iPad.

If u chat with Apple live chat looking to buy an iPad Pro they don't seem to think like that.. They keep referring to an iPad Pro as it should be a 'only' device... So they still like to think it can replace a Mac.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
If u chat with Apple live chat looking to buy an iPad Pro they don't seem to think like that.. They keep referring to an iPad Pro as it should be a 'only' device... So they still like to think it can replace a Mac.

Ha! Well they would, wouldn't they?

With the possible exception of the base 13" MBA, Apple has effectively priced themselves out of the SOHO, home and student market. Meanwhile, the iPad runs an OS whose entire raison d'etre is to be a conduit to the iTunes / App Store, where Apple holds 100% control over the applications that you can install and how you can use the device (and all the profit that goes along with that), while failing to give the functionality (and ports) of a 'real' computer, like the Air.

Even diehard Pro users of Mac are giving second thought to Apple's offerings at present and looking at the options, realizing real computer OSs are pretty much of a wash now. Apple might be correct in saying a tablet can replace a Mac - the problem is, it may not be an iPad (Pro or otherwise).

Last edited:

Hyperfocal2002

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
One of the real problems I see is that many users like me don't need pure CPU power, but I do need connectivity. My 13 inch MBA isn't super fast, but I can plug in power, an external drive, an SD card, a card reader and an external monitor.

I wish Apple would recognize the need for connectivity at a reasonable price.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand that Apple will, at the end of June, announce that (among others) my mid-2011 Air 11" is 'obsolete' and will, at the very least, no longer support it's hardware repair. Software (including OS) I guess can't be far behind.

In reality, its not unusual for a notebook manufacturer to stop producing parts / offer hardware repair for older computers - so we shouldn't be too surprised by this - but Apple's actual number of offerings (and rarity of new models) means they're not trying to keep up with a vast number of parts, either. Plus, it could be argued replacing (rather than repairing) an older competitor's notebook can often mean a less expensive / more fully featured product. Not so with Apple.

I'll continue to use my Air it until it goes up in a puff of smoke - even if that means an 'old' OS eventually - but given Apple's extreme price hikes (with indifferent improvements used to justify them) and the significant improvements from competing notebooks and OSs, it may well be last Mac, too.

Pity.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
In reality, its not unusual for a notebook manufacturer to stop producing parts / offer hardware repair for older computers - so we shouldn't be too surprised by this - but Apple's actual number of offerings (and rarity of new models) means they're not trying to keep up with a vast number of parts, either.

Well, Apple has an official policy on this - 5 years after the product is no longer manufactured. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624 - and the 2011 MBA stopped being manufactured in June 2012.

I stayed with my first MacBook for 9 years before I bought an MBA last year, so that's do-able. I know I'll replace this one sooner; I'm ok with replacing every 5 years or so.

I do think it's too bad that the MBA may not be long for the world; here's hoping that the MacBook will improve performance to a reasonable level and add ports at the same MBA price point at some point. I just don't see Apple putting a retina display on a MBA and also selling the MacBook, and I don't think that they want a non-retina notebook in the lineup for that much longer. Right now the MBP is too expensive for what I need and the MacBook is too limiting (and a little pricey at the configuration I'd want.) I've already switched for good away from Windows to Mac OS; I'm hoping never to go back. I'll pay extra to stay with Mac OS at this point, frankly.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an old 2012 MacBook Air because it was cheap and in great shape. I figure it won't do too horribly since it's an i7 with 8GB of RAM and 512GB SSD. My thinking is that maybe the OS upgrade coming this fall will breathe new life into it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods