A couple of questions.....

ndaniel1

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a MacBook Air for myself and my mum, the main reason for getting it is so we can back our other devices up on to iTunes as both of our other laptops are old and so slow.

The main question is can we use two separate iTunes accounts on the same MacBook?

I use Apple Music a lot so most of my music is on my phone but mum still buys CD's and copy's them to iTunes as she doesn't listen to music that often. Will the 4GB of ram and 128GB flash storage be enough for just backing up an iPhone and an iPad each so two iPhones and two iPads?

My last question is about the processor, is it worth upgrading to the i7 intel core processor if we're only using the MacBook to back up our devices?

Thanks

Nick

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
The main question is can we use two separate iTunes accounts on the same MacBook?

My last question is about the processor, is it worth upgrading to the i7 intel core processor if we're only using the MacBook to back up our devices?

First answer is yes. It is as simple as creating another account on the MacBook which your mother can use. This way you each have your own account and can deal with separate iTunes accounts. 4GB RAM is fine. You have to decide if the storage is enough, but I would say 128GB will handle it but if you can afford to move to the 256GB. The only reason I say that is I believe you can never have enough storage.

Second, it is not worth the upgrade to an i7 processor for your needs. It would probably never get used by you unless you were processing videos.

Hopefully this info will help you in your decision.

ndaniel1

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks bud, I'm looking at the 13" MacBook Air as that has an SD card slot which is handy for mothers camera which she uses a lot. I was in the same thought with the processor as we won't use it a lot mainly for adding photos and backing up devices.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
You can, of course, create two User accounts on your Mac, so you and your mum can have individual files and folders (and apps, for that matter) and it may be easier to separate the two individual iTunes accounts.
For my part, a quirk of fate means I have two Apple accounts - one ended up being for all things iTunes, while the other ended up for everything else - iCloud, Mail, Find My..., etc - which is something of a challenge to remember when it asks, but I like to think I've accidentally made my computer a little more secure. Someone gaining access to one account isn't going to gain free range access over everything.

More storage (and RAM) is always desirable, but I have a ton of stuff on my 128GB and still have 40 GB free. And its always worth having an external drive - be it a standalone HDD, a portable drive or even a large USB - and activating Time Machine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro