Couple questions about 2011-12 airs

ALborntoride

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Looking at buying an air...a friend of mine in TN is selling his. Waiting on the serial number to see what he exact specs are but he says it's a 2011-12 model. Basically going to use it as a secondary computer for word processing. I've never had an air and wondered if it would work ok with an external monitor??

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Looking at buying an air...a friend of mine in TN is selling his. Waiting on the serial number to see what he exact specs are but he says it's a 2011-12 model. Basically going to use it as a secondary computer for word processing. I've never had an air and wondered if it would work ok with an external monitor??

You sure can. Here is Apple's guide on using external monitors. Here is Apple's guide on using it with closed display mode.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have my MacBook Air (mid 2012) connected to a 23" Lanovo external monitor.
I plug a Thundenbolt Adapter (about 4" long) into the MacBook Air and attach it to an HDMI cable which plugs into to back of the external monitor.
So it's like one cable running from the Air to the monitor. That's it.
Only had to make one adjustment in Settings to use the Air's speakers when connected to the monitor since my monitor has no speakers.
I kick myself in the butt everyday for not doing it sooner.
Total cost about $220 for monitor, cable and adapter. Best Buy
Good Luck