MacBook Air - Multiple Users / Initial Sign On?

I

iMore Question

MacBook Air - Multiple Users / Initial Sign On

So, last night I set up my brand new 13" MacBook Air. The setup was very easy. I had no real issues except one...

I set up my wife initially, as this is primarily for her for school. I used her iCloud account so that she would have all of her stuff from her iPhone available to her. After that I added my iCloud account as a separate User profile on the MBA.

After everyone had gone to sleep, I decided to go back to the MBA and really look around and explore. The first thing i noticed is that when I start it up I only have two profile options: Hers and Guest. If I sign into her account, I can then go into the Fast Profile Switcher and get to my profile.

What have I done wrong? How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Ben

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: MacBook Air - Multiple Users / Initial Sign On

When you say start it up, did you shut it down before or just close the lid? If you just closed the lid it will sleep but not log out of the account.

Try going to the  menu at the top and choose logout. Close the lid and open it again after a few seconds. You should see the other account(s) there now.

jamesbemery

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

It's when I log completely off. I logged completely off of everyone's profiles and then shut the MBA completely down. Upon starting it up my only two options are hers and guest. If I log into her's I can then find my profile and log in. I mean, in the end it's a "first world problem" but it would be nice to not have to log into her account, if nothing else for privacy.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

It should work, maybe someone else has had the issue. Did you set both as admin?

jamesbemery

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

Yes, both profiles are admin. Who knows? I'll look into some more tonight when I get home. But if you or anyone can think of what I may have deselected during setup feel free to chime in. THANKS!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Yes, both profiles are admin. Who knows? I'll look into some more tonight when I get home. But if you or anyone can think of what I may have deselected during setup feel free to chime in. THANKS!

When I get home I'll create another user too if nobody has any ideas.

jamesbemery

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, Robert, that's awesome. I appreciate it! If I figure out what I did wrong I'll update too for everyone's benefit.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

OK I'm back home and tested it, and it works fine. I set up a new user as a "Standard" user and when I logged out of my admin account, it showed both as an option.

I picked "Use separate password" vs "Use iCloud password" since I already had used it on the other user.

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 4.25.31 PM.png

jamesbemery

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

First off, sorry it took so long. At the last minute we decided to take a trip and I've been without WiFi until now...

I think I set up my account wrong initially. I just started a separate account and did exactly as you suggested as the situation seems to have corrected itself! Thanks! (It's also highly possible that I set the first account wrong. I don't think it was an administrator account and may have been under the Guest account somehow....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2