Any tips on getting AirDrop to work between my MacBook (OS X El Capitan) and my iOS devices?

suken123

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Since the time I have upgraded to El Capitan I am unable to Air Drop between my Macbook and my iOS devices. Any tips

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Air Drop

Since the time I have upgraded to El Capitan I am unable to Air Drop between my Macbook and my iOS devices. Any tips

AirDrop can be finicky IMHO. Have you checked to make sure AirDrop is enabled on both devices? Turning turning AirDrop off and then back on, on both devices. Make sure you have both Bluetooth and wifi enabled on both as well.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I have done all of that and more but not working. Works fine between my phone and pad

It sounds like a problem with your MacBook then. Is handoff working? Are other devices, like your iPad, able to airdrop to your MacBook?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Air Drop

After doing a little research for you it appears this is a known issue so hopefully Apple has a fix for it soon. One more thing to check though if you haven't already: Make sure "block all incoming connections" isn't turned on in Security and Privacy preferences. AirDrop will not work if this setting is enabled.

suken123

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site

Handoff is working but no airdrop from my phone or pad to my mac. This happened only after I upgraded to El Capitan. Guess will have to wait till Apple fixes the issue. Any other ideas to transfer large files between mac and pad

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Air Drop

Handoff is working but no airdrop from my phone or pad to my mac. This happened only after I upgraded to El Capitan. Guess will have to wait till Apple fixes the issue. Any other ideas to transfer large files between mac and pad

Did you check the security setting I mentioned above?
How large of files are you trying to transfer? You could always email them to yourself or use a cloud service like DropBox. It's in no way ideal though.
Hopefully someone else around here has a fix that we haven't thought of. My knowledge is limited as I haven't experienced this issue.

suken123

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Checked security like you said it was off. The issue is with El Capitan. The local Apple store said many people are having the same complaint. Some files are large so drop box not really a option. Just have to wait I guess

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Checked security like you said it was off. The issue is with El Capitan. The local Apple store said many people are having the same complaint. Some files are large so drop box not really a option. Just have to wait I guess

I had a feeling that would be a problem. Thanks for updating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2