Ok, I've decided to move into the world of Mac from being a longtime Windows user. I'm currently in grad school for cybersecurity and need a new laptop. Here is my conundrum:

First I really really like the MBA, and the configuration I'd go with is 13" 2.2GHz i7, with 8GB ram and a 512GB hard drive. For school, I might be required to run a Windows desktop which I understand I can use Parallels for, however I'm being told that the MBA will not run the software adequately. Any truth to this? I was advised a MBPr was the advisable choice in this situation, but I don't want to spend the extra cash if there really is no need....

So, will I be able to adequately run Parallels using the above configuration? Or should I opt for the MBPr with 16GB ram instead.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

-Riley2521
    09-03-2015 04:27 PM
    This really depends on the software you are talking about. Running Windows in Parallels is not an issue. It actually runs very smooth. It will come down to the other software. Is it your school telling you it will be an issue, because I would think they have seen the issues and are offering you sound advice. I know that may not be the answer you wanted to hear. But I will also add that the MBA you are looking at is no slouch and should be able to run just about anything thrown at it.

Maybe post the software you are talking about, if you can. It will certainly help with the responses.
    09-03-2015 06:22 PM
    I would be running Snort IDS, Cryptolab, and Wireshark mostly...I hope that helps.
    09-03-2015 09:50 PM
    As long as you get the 8GB of RAM you should be fine. One thing you could do is install Windows in Bootcamp (so it is running natively on the hardware). And then on the OS X side, install Parallels and choose to have Parallels access the bootcamp partition for its Windows install. This way, you could run Parallels with Windows most of the time (within OS X), but if you needed the extra oomph, you could reboot and choose the Bootcamp partition, so that you are running Windows natively and not thru the Parallels VM.
    09-03-2015 11:13 PM