I'm thinking it may be getting old?
    But the thing is, based on the number of times I have taken only my iPad and phone on trips and never missed my MacBook, perhaps I should not bother with a MacBook and stick only to iPad?

I do have files saved on my MacBook but otherwise I see less and less the necessity of a laptop.

Is this something you guys would consider or do you think it's a foolish idea and I should either get my MacBook to work properly or get a new one?
    06-01-2015 03:41 PM
    Under the circumstances you described, it wouldn't make sense to purchase a new MacBook, in my opinion. You could always erase the hard drive and reinstall OS X. If my 2009 MacBook w/4 GB RAM is sufficient for my needs then your newer model should be as well.
    06-01-2015 06:01 PM
    Under the circumstances you described, it wouldn't make sense to purchase a new MacBook, in my opinion. You could always erase the hard drive and reinstall OS X. If my 2009 MacBook w/4 GB RAM is sufficient for my needs then your newer model should be as well.
    Yeah that makes sense. I'm amazed that my iPad is faster than my MBA, lol.
    Just_Me_D and Channan like this.
    06-01-2015 06:17 PM
    What is your 2012 MacBook Air doing (or not doing) such that it is slow and sluggish? Is it with a certain app or activity when you notice the slowness or sluggishness?

2012 MacBook Air is still a fairly current system. Are there any error messages or spinning beachball that you can see when the slowness/sluggishness happens?
    06-01-2015 11:29 PM
    Is this something you guys would consider or do you think it's a foolish idea and I should either get my MacBook to work properly or get a new one?
    I kind of force myself to use my MacBook Pro more because I just spent $1600 on it last year, but my iPad does almost everything I need it to do. I'm not sure if I could go without a laptop at all at the moment, but I definitely don't see myself upgrading my MacBook Pro for a very long time.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    06-02-2015 10:17 AM
    It really depends on your needs and wants. I really, really like having a MacBook Pro for times when my iPad will just not work for the task. And my iMac when I want the really BIG screen.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    06-02-2015 10:32 AM
    What is your 2012 MacBook Air doing (or not doing) such that it is slow and sluggish? Is it with a certain app or activity when you notice the slowness or sluggishness?

2012 MacBook Air is still a fairly current system. Are there any error messages or spinning beachball that you can see when the slowness/sluggishness happens?
    Yes, lots of spinning beach balls, websites take forever to load, it's just become easier with my iPad.
    I have rebooted, I don't have any viruses on it, but it's just been blah lately.
    06-02-2015 10:38 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Maybe there are some updates for OS X and Safari available that might address some of those issues. There could also be some network issues outside of your control that are impact websites or the path to/from them.

For media consumption (iTunes, web browsing, apps), agree that the iPad is quite good. I chose to go the MacBook Air route as I like having keyboard, full OS, and more connectivity options than iPad provides. But I do like the iPad. If Apple were to release an iPad like the Surface, I'd be interested
    06-02-2015 11:49 PM
    Yeah that makes sense. I'm amazed that my iPad is faster than my MBA, lol.
    I remember when I got my first iPhone (3G) back in 2008, and I'd sit on the couch for hours at a time browsing the web on that little 3.5" non-retina HVGA display because it was faster than my laptop at the time. Luckily you have a much larger iOS device to use instead of your computer than I had back then. :P
    06-03-2015 12:06 AM
    Yes, lots of spinning beach balls, websites take forever to load, it's just become easier with my iPad.
    I have rebooted, I don't have any viruses on it, but it's just been blah lately.
    Evilguppy,
    When I first got my mid 2012 MacBook Air, Apple support recommended I do the following once a month. ( I do it weekly).
    Should clean up some of the clutter. The first time this is done may take awhile.

1 Click on the Disk Utility Icon - found in your Other Folder from Launch Pad
    2 Click Macintosh HD
    3 Click Verify Disk Permission
    4 Click Repair Disk (if necessary)
    5. Clear History
    6 Click Repair Disk Permission
    7 Click Repair (if necessary)
    8 Clear History

Do not click Verify Disk (on right side of the box unless you want to defrag
    Trees, Evilguppy and EmceeGeek like this.
    06-03-2015 10:10 PM
    Thanks I'll try that.
    06-03-2015 11:53 PM
    I did it, it seems a little faster.
    TurboTiger likes this.
    06-04-2015 12:07 AM
    Upgrade the RAM and clear the hard drive. I don't believe a 2012 MacBook should be sluggish. I bet you have Yosemite installed? That'll slow anything down.
    06-04-2015 12:31 AM
    Further to TurboTiger's post, there's the OnyX app (not found at the Mac App Store, but here - Titanium Software - OnyX - you'll need to temporarily turn off the limitations of only installing Mac App software in System Preferences > Security & Privacy to do so). Its an app that been around for awhile and is pretty well-respected - it can be a bit daunting as to the stuff it allows you to do, but the Automation tab and its default settings will help clean up a lot of the cruft - as well as do the functions TurboTiger noted - all at once.

Meanwhile, slightly unrelated - but I consider an absolute must-have on my Air and might relieve some of the 'sluggishness' - is the app XSlimmer (Xslimmer - Your Mac, on a Diet!). The wisest investment I ever made in a Mac app. It takes the information about your Mac (the internals, the OS, the languages of choice), scans your software and deletes the stuff you don't need - in some cases significantly reducing the app's size (one example on their website - GarageBand before: 537 MB, after: 156 MB). Its all reversible, its Genie works very well and I've never had a problem with any software because of it. And because it deletes a lot of background noise (say, for example, the binary codes to support earlier Macs), it seems to make boot up and opening apps a lot faster IMHO. There's a free trial version as well.
    Same install practice as with OnyX - turning off the 'Mac App Store only' feature.
    06-04-2015 08:40 AM
    If your Mac savvy, it more than likely needs to have permissions repaired. Kind of like a PC (Windows system), the hard drive gets "fragmented" and needs to be repaired due to anytime you delete, erase, file, etc., it gets corrupted, again, on a Mac, it's called "permissions", this will fix these issues you are having and get your Mac running back again as new, trust me.
    09-03-2015 03:08 AM