as it says, I bought this for my wife as she has wanted one for ages, and the time was right. We wanted to get the cheapest model.the salesman praised it to the heaves, yet it was not on display. I could not see it either, but had to look at the 13 inc version. We were sold, but I had my doubts. I'm a desktop gamer and the specs for this is way to expensive. The salesman assured me the screen would look good. High dpi and wondrous things.

I get home and start to set up her new apple device I get a slap in the face. The screen picture is grainy, it looks like a first generation iPad. I wouldn't believe it for this price and its 2015! Secondly I installed some stuff like vlc player and the Mac used several minutes on it. It felt slow. Third is (I knew it before I bought it) it has only 128 gb disk space..

To my wife these things doesn't matter or she doesn't notice (except the disk space), but to me, I could have given her a laptop with SSD hard disk, 1 terabyte GB and a dedicated nvidia card so I might have used it myself for some gaming while on tedious doings when long from home.

My question: please give me reasons that we made a good buy. I really can't get over the grainy screen at such a price.
    05-29-2015 01:09 AM
  2. iEd said: Best Answer

You have to decide for yourself if you made a good buy.
    The MacBook Air display is not a retina display. I think the display is good. I bought mine knowing that it was not a retina display so I'm satisfied with it. I don't use it for high quality photo or video editing or gaming.
    I'm not sure what problem you are having with VLC Player I use it everyday and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    You have to decide for yourself if you made a good buy.
    The MacBook Air display is not a retina display. I think the display is good. I bought mine knowing that it was not a retina display so I'm satisfied with it. I don't use it for high quality photo or video editing or gaming.
    I'm not sure what problem you are having with VLC Player I use it everyday and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    05-29-2015 02:34 AM
    I'm with iEd, I see no issue with the screen on the MacBook Air 11-inch. As far as the price, you always pay an Apple Tax, but you get what you pay for.
    05-29-2015 08:50 AM
    Maybe you can return it and get a rMBP. If you need a high resolution screen and want to do a lot of gaming you would probably benefit from getting a rMBP which is more powerful and has a retina display.

As for storage space. I actually bought the same MBA model as you but I also picked up a 1TB external hard drive to supplement my Mac. It's very light and thin and connects to My Mac via usb. It was quite cheap - 60 and I bought it from the Apple Store. I also bought a SD card reader for around 7 which connects bus usb and allows me to use micro SD cards and SD cards on my Mac. I also picked up a super drive for 65 to enable me to play CDs and DVDs.

I knew before I purchased my MBA that it did not have a retina display. However I don't do photo or video editing so I was fine with it. Also my previous laptop only had a 720 p display and I was also heavily using a chromebook with a TNT 720 p display. I find the display on my MBA to be entirely usable I think that the trade offs are worth it due to its extreme portability. I did a lot of research before buying my MBA and decided it was the right machine for me. Any perceived limitations e.g storage space, lack of SD card slot I was able to mitigate for with the right add ons. I'm very happy with my purchase and think it's worth every penny.
    06-17-2015 09:31 PM