Hi all,
    I am pretty new in the forum and just got an MBA few weeks ago. I tried to install Sophos, but during the installation it asked for a password. Where or how can i get that password? Sophos didnt ask me to create an account.
    Any ideas/advice?
    08-31-2014 09:04 PM
    I'm assuming it was just asking you for your account password. The one you set up when you first set up the Mac and the one you log into the computer. It does that when you are installing stuff that is somewhat invasive for the operating system.
    BTWcertainly it's a personal choice, but many people don't run anti-virus on a Mac.
    08-31-2014 10:02 PM
    This may help:
    http://www2.ku.edu/~technology/softw...sx_70_heng.pdf

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    08-31-2014 10:18 PM
    Thank you both for the idea & the link. I did enter the password used when 1st set up the Mac but was not accepted. Will read the Sophos Help for more info.

Why most users dont use anti-virus on their Mac? Is there something in it that makes it safer than other brand?
    09-01-2014 09:38 AM
    I've had macs for over three years now with antivirus and had no problems. Yes, macs are generally less prone to getting viruses, not necessarily because they are inherently safer but because malware writers tend to target the most used platform which is Windows.
    09-01-2014 10:07 AM
    I see, it is good to know. Thanks Karen.
    09-01-2014 12:46 PM
    Why most users dont use anti-virus on their Mac? Is there something in it that makes it safer than other brand?
    As Karenkcoulter noted, Macs are less prone to viruses, not because they are safer (though at their core, the OS is based on Linux, which is generally a more 'locked down' operating system), but because malware writers tend to target the most used platform.

That said, there's nothing wrong (and everything right) with installing an anti-virus program. While attacks on your Mac may be few and far between, if you share files with other folks, you could be also be sharing someone else's problem - for example, a colleague on a Windows machine sends you a document that's infected, you read it (nothing happens on your Mac) and then you pass it on to someone with a PC, potentially infecting them. An AV program should spot that before you spread the problem.

I don't know Sophos, I use the free Avira product (used the PC version when I had one) and it has served me well. Easy to set up and enough user preference settings to make it work as you do - heck, if it's free and works quietly in the background, why would I not install it?
    ChamNG likes this.
    09-07-2014 09:06 AM
    As Karenkcoulter noted, Macs are less prone to viruses, not because they are safer (though at their core, the OS is based on Linux, which is generally a more 'locked down' operating system), but because malware writers tend to target the most used platform.

That said, there's nothing wrong (and everything right) with installing an anti-virus program. While attacks on your Mac may be few and far between, if you share files with other folks, you could be also be sharing someone else's problem - for example, a colleague on a Windows machine sends you a document that's infected, you read it (nothing happens on your Mac) and then you pass it on to someone with a PC, potentially infecting them. An AV program should spot that before you spread the problem.

I don't know Sophos, I use the free Avira product (used the PC version when I had one) and it has served me well. Easy to set up and enough user preference settings to make it work as you do - heck, if it's free and works quietly in the background, why would I not install it?
    Actually it's based on Unix, not Linux.
    09-11-2014 12:36 PM
    Actually it's based on Unix, not Linux.
    I stand corrected! ;-)
    Same comment on its nature applies, though.
    UJ95x likes this.
    09-14-2014 08:30 AM
    I stand corrected! ;-)
    Same comment on its nature applies, though.
    That it does
    09-14-2014 02:04 PM