Hola.

I'm in the market for an affordable Mac that I could take to class or work and then back home.
    I would use it to learn how to create Apps for Mac, play around on garageband and then school work.
    I plan on storing everything that is nonessential on an external hard drive.
    I'm looking at the 13" MacBook Air.

The question is would base model be worthy of doing what I need to do on it for say the next 2 years?
    08-15-2014 03:00 PM
    Hola.

I'm in the market for an affordable Mac that I could take to class or work and then back home.
    I would use it to learn how to create Apps for Mac, play around on garageband and then school work.
    I plan on storing everything that is nonessential on an external hard drive.
    I'm looking at the 13" MacBook Air.

The question is would base model be worthy of doing what I need to do on it for say the next 2 years?
    You"re mentioning memory but is your question also related to specs? If you're talking about memory then no problem. But if you're talking about capabilities then you'd need to give a bit more information as to what your technical needs are for developing those apps.
    08-15-2014 04:07 PM
    Do I need a Mac to develop Mac apps for the Mac App Store?

Yes. You must have an Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X Lion or later to develop Mac apps for the Mac App Store.
    Source: https://developer.apple.com/support/mac/enrollment.php

I'd say that the computer you're considering will be more than sufficient.
    08-15-2014 04:08 PM
    As long as it has at least 8GB RAM you should be ok for doing development.
    08-15-2014 04:25 PM
    I don't know anything about programming, but I do know that from my experience, if you want to future-proof a Mac, you should get more RAM, which means at this moment, August 2014, that you should get 8GB. $100 more, but it'll set you up for the next two years. You can't upgrade the RAM later. It's tough to find an off-the-shelf 8gb MacBook Air, so you'd have to order it from Apple's website.
    08-18-2014 12:04 PM