I just bought my first Mac!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Congrats to you both on your new Macs. I highly recommend the MagicMouse - as you can get 2-button function without the ugly buttons. And you can do gestures right on the mouse surface - just like on a trackpad.

There are at least 5 other threads about what apps/utilities to get, so I won’t go through that, but there’s plenty of good stuff out there.

Just bought a MacBook Pro 15inch
Must have APP for rMBP 13 Inch ?
What are your 'most used' Mac apps?
new to MacBook Pro

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Congrats to you both on your new Macs. I highly recommend the MagicMouse - as you can get 2-button function without the ugly buttons. And you can do gestures right on the mouse surface - just like on a trackpad.

There are at least 5 other threads about what apps/utilities to get, so I won’t go through that, but there’s plenty of good stuff out there.

Just bought a MacBook Pro 15inch

Must have APP for rMBP 13 Inch ?
What are your 'most used' Mac apps?
new to MacBook Pro

Thanks for the heads up, i will check the out.
and congrats on the MacBook Pro

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a Macbook Air yesterday and so far its a very nice device with excellent battery life, the only issue I have is coming from windows 8 there is a huge learning curve.

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I also got a MBA 13" Early 2014 model 3 weeks back and I am loving it so far. I tried Onedrive from Microsoft and its awesome! It gives you 15GB of free space + 3GB once you enable camera roll on your cellphone. Besides this, you also get an option to use MS Suite(Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Outlook etc) online. I tried Word yesterday and works like a charm! Prepared a doc and then downloaded it to my local disk and it easily gets opened in Apple's pages. I like Onedrive!

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I never understand when everyone says there is a learning curve from Windows. I had two PCs before I got my first Mac and I adjusted within a week.

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I never understand when everyone says there is a learning curve from Windows. I had two PCs before I got my first Mac and I adjusted within a week.

That's Ok, it varies from person to person. It took me a week too to learn and now I look for the close/max/min button on left side in Windows on my office laptop! :)

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Congratulations, welcome to the Mac club =)

My 2013 MacBook Air 13" model will be in tomorrow evening! What are some free and paid apps from the Mac App Store that are must haves? And I would appreciate any OS X tips and tricks as this is the first Mac I've ever owned, or used ( For more then 45 minuets). Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I just ordered a MacBook Air 11.6. This is of course my first Mac.
And I am curious, do I need to order anti-virus software for it? Thanks

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Probably not. Just be careful where you surf. Personal choice of course but you'll find a lot of OS X users that do not run anti-virus software.

There's free anti-virus out there (I use Avira, as I did on my PC - https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...vira.com/en/free-antivirus-mac&token=7IkDnTaj) as well as on the Mac Store, so why not take advantage of it? It may be a belt and suspenders move, but rabid Macoyltes who insist Mac is impregnable or even "probably not" doesn't instill me with faith.

As Karenkcoulter suggests, one needs to be vigilant on the web, but also, I use it as a goodwill gesture. I create, alter and email documents back and forth with other individuals - some PC, some Mac - and while an infected file might make it to me and not cause a problem on my Mac, I would hate to forward that along to someone else not so protected.

In my case, Avira allows all sorts of opportunities for user settings (when to update and scan, what to scan if you're picky) and updates and scans are done in the background - while I've not noticed a significant hit on resources using it. Like I said, its free, so why not?

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
What are some suggestions for an external hard drive, that are Mac compatible? Thanks

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox