Macbook air 2013 vs ipad air which to buy?

Sniper1087

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
now I have to ask this because I am not sure on which to get I have always been a PC user, so it would be my first mac, but some people have suggested me to get an ipad air instead, I plan to use it for consumption as well as work, looking for top notch battery life as well as performance. I dont know what to do the macbook air seems like a good deal, any suggestions would be appreciated it.

The_colombian

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have another laptop then I would go with the MacBook. Although it's tempting to just go with the ipad and then getting a keyboard but you loose the mouse. Sucks not having a mouse when you are doing productive stuff.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If you want the latest and greatest, go with the Air. It will last you for a couple of years while the iPad will just become outdated in 3-4 years. I believe that laptops from 2006 have Mavericks.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
now I have to ask this because I am not sure on which to get I have always been a PC user, so it would be my first mac, but some people have suggested me to get an ipad air instead, I plan to use it for consumption as well as work, looking for top notch battery life as well as performance. I dont know what to do the macbook air seems like a good deal, any suggestions would be appreciated it.

Did you choose yet? If not, I would get the iPad Air instead of the MBA. I have used an iPad for a laptop replacement for the last three years. I haven't had an issue. However, my needs are met by an iPad and others may not have the same needs.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
An 11" Mac Air has a footprint not all that much larger than the iPad (7.5" x 11'8" vs 6.5 x 9.5") and, while over twice as 'heavy' (2.38 lbs vs 1 lb) it is a real computer capable of running full (and familiar, even to PC users) software and connecting to real peripherals - like external drives, printers etc.

The iPad, however good, has never been intended by Apple to be anything more than a companion device to a real computer - and while there are plenty of apps out there to squeeze the most out of the product, Apple has been very careful not to let the device cannibalize users from its fully-featured products.

That said, the Mac Air has an operating system that will require a learning curve from PC users (not nearly as 'intuitive' as the Macoyltes insist it is - there's a reason there's a healthy market in 'Switching From...' manuals out there), while the iPad has an OS easy (or basic) enough that even a toddler can use it. And yes, you can add hardware keyboard to the mix on an iPad, but then the weight goes up, so what are you gaining?

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased a macbook air on craigslist, and I love it. I haven't ever felt the need to get an iPad, however. It is one of those things that is cool to have, but I needed a laptop first and foremost.

SWFLFFPM

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
IMG_3236.JPGI went through this dilemma and after reading this thread and others like it I bought a MBA 11.

What Bazza said about the MBA being a real computer stuck in my head. The tipping point for me was printing. My work situation will have me using different printers, not all of which will be wifi, and I don't want that hassle when I need to print something.

Then iPad is a good device but it depends on your needs.

Here are some shots comparing my 11 MBA with my wife's iPad2. For my needs, the size difference was worth getting the full capabilities of a computer.

I weighed each with how I would normally carry it. The iPad with keyboard was 2.2 pounds. The MBA with case was 2.11 pounds. .9 ounce difference! I realize the iPad air is lighter and there are zillions of case options so this is my real world example.

IMG_3235.JPGIMG_3233.JPGIMG_3231.JPGIMG_3230.JPG

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Glad a comment I made may have helped you make a choice, SWFLFFPM. Also pleased to see you did a little more comparative research - something that, sadly, few seem to do these days. I hope you will find the Air a good fit and a competent real computer - and hey, if, down the line, you ever have this uncontrollable urge to get a small tablet (and accept its mostly for portable entertainment value), there's nothing wrong with picking up something cheap and cheerful in the Android family - a majority of apps found in iOS exist in Android, while syncing to/from Mac via iCloud can (mostly) be done with little effort.

Enjoy your Air!