Mac book air

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up my first Mac. I got the 13 inch Mac book air and so far it's great. Gonna take me some time to learn this lol.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on getting your new MacBook Air ;). Take your time in learning it, my friend. I'm sure you will be pleased with it for many years.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up my first Mac. I got the 13 inch Mac book air and so far it's great. Gonna take me some time to learn this lol.

Congrats, man! It’s a nice machine, and you’re gonna love it! If you need any help, just ask...lots of good folks here with a lot of experience... most of us came from the Windows world, so we’ve "been there, done that" already...

Headgame

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Just bought a MacBook Air myself. My second Apple computer.
My first was an Apple II GS in 1986. I think it cost $5k, with a printer, disc drive and modem. Why the hell did I bought the modem! One line at a time downloading. Used it only a few times.
Amazing what 27 years of evolution can accomplish.
Goodbye Windows.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Two ways:

1) with Finder open, do Cmd + / and you'll see the bottom status bar which has disk space listed.
2) open Disk Utility (under Utilities in your Application folder) and select your hard drive.

You can also click the hard drive icon on the desktop once so it's highlighted and then do ctrl + i

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What's the best way to use an external drive? I have a tb full of movies.

If your router accepts USB connections, you can plug the drive in there and use is as a networked drive. In my case, I have all of my music and movies on a network drive and set them up in iTunes with the "Copy files to iTunes media library" unchecked. This allows you to add them to iTunes without eating up all of your already limited disk space. The only down side is that you can’t access the media when you are away from the network.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay I'm good with the network drive. I'm starting fresh so I have a 2 tb drive with most of my movies in the cloud. Now I guess I have to download the movies to my pc and then transfer them to the drive?

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
If your router accepts USB connections, you can plug the drive in there and use is as a networked drive. In my case, I have all of my music and movies on a network drive and set them up in iTunes with the "Copy files to iTunes media library" unchecked. This allows you to add them to iTunes without eating up all of your already limited disk space. The only down side is that you can?t access the media when you are away from the network.

Will this work unchecking the copy box? I want my music in the just not movies and tv.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Will this work unchecking the copy box? I want my music in the just not movies and tv.

By unchecking the box, iTunes will catalog the media, but not manage it in the iTunes Media library. It will just play the media where ever it lives. So leave your movies/TV on the network drive, and put your music on your MBA's SSD. Since the music will be on the computer's internal storage, it will always be available. Since the movies/TV will be on the external drive, they will be available when you are able to connect to the networked drive. That should work for you.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Just bought a MacBook Air myself. My second Apple computer.
My first was an Apple II GS in 1986. I think it cost $5k, with a printer, disc drive and modem. Why the hell did I bought the modem! One line at a time downloading. Used it only a few times.
Amazing what 27 years of evolution can accomplish.
Goodbye Windows.

I'm sure you're gonna love it.
BTW: what's a modem?
Just kidding. Couldn't resist.:)

Good Luck

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member