So I currently have a 15" MacBook Pro. I love it to death but it is a little cumbersome. I want to be able to bring my laptop with me more but my MBP is just a little too much. The one thing I love about my Pro though is the storage space and how fast mine currently is. Anyone with an Air, have you run out of storage space or found your Air to be slow in anyway? I would love if the Air was faster than my current MBP but idk if it would be, any insight? Also, how's battery life and which model do you think is better all around? the 11-inch or 13?
    03-17-2013 01:09 AM
    I had a 13" Air with a previous employer and loved it, when I switched jobs I opted for the 13" MacBook Pro Retina. It is only 1/2 pound heavier than the Air and not noticeably thicker. Both operate fast with the SSD but the Retina seems to have better WiFi connectivity. My Air would disconnect from the network once every day or so and to date I have not seen that issue with the Retina. Not sure what features / footprint will be on this years updates, but I would opt for the Retina buying today considering that it is only slightly heavier. Also considering that both the Air and Retina have fixed memory that can not be upgraded, get the maximum RAM at purchase.

As far as 13" vs 11" I always go for the larger screen, just my old eyes I guess.
    03-17-2013 07:34 AM
    I started with the 11" MBA. Loved it. Carried it everywhere. But I ran out of space incredibly fast. It got to the point where I was spending more time backing up so that I could find things I could delete than I was using it. Wound up going to the 13" MBP. Yes, it's heavier and not quite as portable, but to me the difference in space is huge. Carrying around an external drive (and frequently your superdrive) more than makes up for the size/weight of the MBP.
    03-17-2013 08:57 AM
    Whether its faster or not would depend on what model year the Pro is. For current generation 15" Pro vs Air, the biggest difference in speed would be a dual vs quad core processor and the Pro has a discrete graphics card. Depends on what you do with it on whether those two things make a big difference. For most people the SSD in the Air will be more noticeable than the processor or graphics difference.
    03-17-2013 08:59 AM
    The SSD in either model will easily out-perform any mechanical disk, as well as add to the portability (and cost) of the device. Opting for larger capacity SSDs will drive the cost up even more. But if portability is your primary concern, go for the Air with a large $$D (see what I did there? ). The weight difference between the Pro and Air models is less than a pound, but stick it in a backpack and lug it around all day and then tell me that it doesn’t matter.

You also don’t mention any connectivity concerns. There are more ports/options on the Pro line as well - if that matters.

One other option would be to go with the Air and a small external USB3 drive for added storage, but at times, that can be a kludge.
    03-17-2013 02:06 PM
    To touch on a few of your questions (though many have already been answered so some of this will be redundant)...

- Battery life will be better on the Macbook Air essentially because it's smaller and uses some more streamlined products (SSD for instance, which uses far less power than your standard HDD)
    - Portability is obviously better vs. your 15" MBP...but to speak on this, I've found my 13" MBP to be just slightly less convenient when it comes to portability than the Air, and FAR more portable than the 15" i had years ago. If you find the features of the 15" MBP to be to your liking, but you just want something smaller and lighter, the 13" could definitely be your answer over the Air. It gives you the ability to have both an HDD and SSD/hybrid, you still have your various ports so you don't have to settle there, and batter life isn't substantially less than the Air.

...as far as speed goes between the two, comparably they perform the same if they are equipped with the same processors and drives...i have an SSD in my 13" macbook pro right now that runs my OS while my 1TB HDD does storage work...it's running the i7 processor so it's plenty fast and it's maxed out with 16GB of RAM. To me, I'd say the Macbook Pro has the potential to always outperform the Air simply because you have more options for storage types and RAM max (the Air has the RAM soldered to the logic board so upgrades are not easy or cheap)...you can also only get the Air with the i5 processor, so in that regard, having the option for the i7 is also a plus for the MBP.

In the end though, it just really boils down to what you expect from your computer. The Air is too limited on modification to me, so I don't ever consider it...and the new retina MBP's are growing closer to this as well (which sucks to me). I like to build my machines...if you don't care about this, the Air is a fine option.
    03-18-2013 12:52 PM
    To touch on a few of your questions (though many have already been answered so some of this will be redundant)...

- Battery life will be better on the Macbook Air essentially because it's smaller and uses some more streamlined products (SSD for instance, which uses far less power than your standard HDD)
    - Portability is obviously better vs. your 15" MBP...but to speak on this, I've found my 13" MBP to be just slightly less convenient when it comes to portability than the Air, and FAR more portable than the 15" i had years ago. If you find the features of the 15" MBP to be to your liking, but you just want something smaller and lighter, the 13" could definitely be your answer over the Air. It gives you the ability to have both an HDD and SSD/hybrid, you still have your various ports so you don't have to settle there, and batter life isn't substantially less than the Air.

...as far as speed goes between the two, comparably they perform the same if they are equipped with the same processors and drives...i have an SSD in my 13" macbook pro right now that runs my OS while my 1TB HDD does storage work...it's running the i7 processor so it's plenty fast and it's maxed out with 16GB of RAM. To me, I'd say the Macbook Pro has the potential to always outperform the Air simply because you have more options for storage types and RAM max (the Air has the RAM soldered to the logic board so upgrades are not easy or cheap)...you can also only get the Air with the i5 processor, so in that regard, having the option for the i7 is also a plus for the MBP.

In the end though, it just really boils down to what you expect from your computer. The Air is too limited on modification to me, so I don't ever consider it...and the new retina MBP's are growing closer to this as well (which sucks to me). I like to build my machines...if you don't care about this, the Air is a fine option.
    The Mac Air does have the option to upgrade to the i7 processor at point of purchase. Everything else in your post is pretty accurate. Nice setup you have with your MBP btw. Those are some great upgrades.
    03-22-2013 02:54 PM
    So I currently have a 15" MacBook Pro. I love it to death but it is a little cumbersome. I want to be able to bring my laptop with me more but my MBP is just a little too much. The one thing I love about my Pro though is the storage space and how fast mine currently is. Anyone with an Air, have you run out of storage space or found your Air to be slow in anyway? I would love if the Air was faster than my current MBP but idk if it would be, any insight? Also, how's battery life and which model do you think is better all around? the 11-inch or 13?
    Personally the MBA fit my usage needs but varies from user to user. I have had it for about the last 7 months and there has never been a task it was doing where I felt it should be performing faster or felt it was lagging. My advice would be to opt for the i7 w/ 8gb RAM combo. As for storage space, again it depends on the user i guess. Mine came with 256gb & it's been more than enough so far but that isn't my main computer for storage. If you use it as your main computer I would probably advise you to go with the MBP w/o Retina like SeanHRCC did which provides the option to always increase your storage.
    03-22-2013 03:01 PM
    I am thinking about getting a MacBook for college, other than the storage space and the weight are there any other major differences between the MBA and the MBP that I should take into account before I decide which one to get? Thanks
    07-11-2013 06:52 AM
    I am thinking about getting a MacBook for college, other than the storage space and the weight are there any other major differences between the MBA and the MBP that I should take into account before I decide which one to get? Thanks
    For college, go with the air. The smaller internal storage won't be a huge deal. Hell you can buy a 64 gig flash drive for cheap now. But the air would be perfect for taking to class to take notes with. I used a MBP for school but mainly cause I went to school for TV/Film so I needed programs like FCP that took up a lot of space.

The air has a better battery life which is great for school.
    07-11-2013 09:35 AM
    The new MacBook Air has. 12 hour battery life.
    Good Luck
    07-11-2013 09:24 PM
    Thanks for your help
    07-12-2013 04:53 AM
    I have a MBA for work and I love it but it's absolutely hopeless when playing games - it lags and overheats.
    In all honestly, I'm mainly attracted to the i7 processor....
    Wondering if I should get the new MBP so that I can work and play. Would not mind the weight but how good is the battery life.
    08-13-2013 06:32 AM
    I have a MBA for work and I love it but it's absolutely hopeless when playing games - it lags and overheats.
    In all honestly, I'm mainly attracted to the i7 processor....
    Wondering if I should get the new MBP so that I can work and play. Would not mind the weight but how good is the battery life.
    Turbo Tiger posted above that the new MBA has 12 hours of battery life, I would say that is very good and better than the old MBA. If your current MBA isn't that old maybe taking a trip to Apple and getting it looked at first might be worth while.
    08-13-2013 08:53 AM