Which Mac Pro configuration should I buy?

Pixelshot

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the market for the new Mac Pro. I've been waiting for it to be released and have some cash set aside for this. I am a video editor and use Premiere Pro CC, and After Effects. My primary content is simple documentary films - so nothing too intense, but always HD (1080) video. I don't see 4k in my future but it's always a possibility so I want to future-proof my purchase for the next 3 years or so. With respect to storage space and RAM, I can make that decision myself based mostly on cashflow (since they are likely both user-expandable). However, with the basic configuration of the number of cores and video graphics card, I could use some advice. I think they are both set for the life of the computer, so important to get it right.

My current thinking is to start with the 6 core model (I guess I have no real reason for this decision, except that I feel like the 4-core base model is put there to make the price feel lower, while the real advantages in performance start at the 6 core - am I way off on this one?). But, I wonder if I should spring for the 8 core or even the 12 core? Probably overkill for me - out of my budget anyway.

The other decision is the graphics card - is the D500 enough? Will it be limiting factor in the future? Or should I move to D700?

Here are the cost differences:
from 6 core to 8 core is $1500
from D500 to D700 is $600

Which is worth it? (neither, both?)

Thanks.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm going to go into the Apple store and see what their suggestion is for what I will be using a Mac Pro for. Not quite sure what I need yet

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2