Why is it so overpriced?

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I would definitely buy the Asus instead of that overpriced Mac.
If I had any problems with it I would take it to the Asus store and...oh, wait...

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely buy the Asus instead of that overpriced Mac.
If I had any problems with it I would take it to the Asus store and...oh, wait...

Which is a HUGE advantage Apple has over competitors. I mean, there are Microsoft stores if I bought it from there or can service it there, but there aren't many. And best buy, meh.

JKeigh

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Different category, but ... I chose an Asus over a MacBook Air earlier this year, and I regret it every time I have to use it. It continually crashes, disconnects from Wi-Fi and switches apps if my hand brushes the touchpad. It's a piece of junk and I want to throw it through a window. But I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Iosnation

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Different category, but ... I chose an Asus over a MacBook Air earlier this year, and I regret it every time I have to use it. It continually crashes, disconnects from Wi-Fi and switches apps if my hand brushes the touchpad. It's a piece of junk and I want to throw it through a window. But I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.
As I might have said in the earlier posts, I'm not going to buy anything because unfortunately I only have $325, and in where I live, $325 can only buy a 13.3 non-Pro, non-Air MacBook from 2008 or 2009. I don't want to buy a new computer as well because I'm quite happy with the Dell laptop that I have now. You're not only limited to Asus. You can buy a computer from hundreds and even thousands of companies. Like Sony, Samsung, Dell, HP and a lot more that I don't feel like writing down. Try to fix it, but if you have money you can buy a new MacBook Air as well. Note that I would buy a Mac over a Windows computer if I had the $$$ :(

Last edited:

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
As I might have said in the earlier posts, I'm not going to buy anything because unfortunately I only have $325, and in where I live, $325 can only buy a 13.3 non-Pro, non-Air MacBook from 2008 or 2009. I don't want to buy a new computer as well because I'm quite happy with the Dell laptop that I have now. You're not only limited to Asus. You can buy a computer from hundreds and even thousands of companies. Like Sony, Samsung, Dell, HP and a lot more that I don't feel like writing down. Try to fix it, but if you have money you can buy a new MacBook Air as well. Note that I would buy a Mac over a Windows computer if I had the $$$ :(

Why did you start this thread? You have no interest in even buying it, or any Apple computer.

I don't think you understand who this computer is aimed at. It's a workstation, pure and simple. Your average consumer, like you, wouldn't be looking at something like this. It isn't meant for browsing facebook and looking at youtube videos. Can it do those things? Yes. It isn't ideal for doing that. The video cards in it are specifically designed for processing videos and workstation type files. Those companies you mention, some of which don't even make workstations, make workstations that sell for many times what the Mac Pro sells for. The Dell Precision series laptops sells for $4-5k. That's a laptop and their desktop line of workstation is even more. It isn't overpriced at all when compared to other workstations. Some workstations cost $10k+. See Sun Microsystems, etc.

Iosnation

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Why did you start this thread? You have no interest in even buying it, or any Apple computer.

I don't think you understand who this computer is aimed at. It's a workstation, pure and simple. Your average consumer, like you, wouldn't be looking at something like this. It isn't meant for browsing facebook and looking at youtube videos. Can it do those things? Yes. It isn't ideal for doing that. The video cards in it are specifically designed for processing videos and workstation type files. Those companies you mention, some of which don't even make workstations, make workstations that sell for many times what the Mac Pro sells for. The Dell Precision series laptops sells for $4-5k. That's a laptop and their desktop line of workstation is even more. It isn't overpriced at all when compared to other workstations. Some workstations cost $10k+. See Sun Microsystems, etc.

OK, I can't believe it took 27 posts until someone finally said the fact. Thanks on the info!

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Everyone knows Apple rigs cost more than comparative PC hardware. You either buy Apple or you don't. It's not going to change. Nobody cares :)

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Everyone buys what works for them, based on their needs. I recently purchased a used Mac Pro 1,1. Yes, it's one of the first generation Intel Mac Pros. No, it won't run Mountain Lion or Mavericks, but it runs Lion, is compatible with my TASCAM US1800 Audio interface and Cubase 6.5, and has the internal expansion which allows me to upgrade components whenever I choose to do so. Cost? $450. Worth every penny of it. New, it would've cost around $3,000. Someone else may have bought a PC and run Windows to do whatever they do, but I want a piece of kit that is going to last for years and perform consistently, not some piece of junk that I will have to replace in two years.

jpxyz

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Apple can overprice its devices as long as people pay for it.

You have to remember: Apple is a premium manufacturer and they want to sell high quality equipment to people who have high standards. (especially in case of build quality, design,..)
And I think OS X is so much more impressive and innovative then Windows and even more secure.

proteus7

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Your ignorance is showing IOSnation. The system you link is missing a few key specs...
1) Mac Pro uses enterprise grade Xeon CPUs, with ECC memory support, vt-d support, etc. Your CPU is a far cheaper desktop version.
2) don't compare professional workstation cards like the D300 series with l33t g4mer cards like the 760. Want high frame rates in BF4? Sure, your system is great. Want to render 4k video, run solidworks, Autocad, maya, etc, photoshop, etc? Your consumer card will choke.
I challenge you to find a case and cooling system that even comes CLOSE to what Apple achieved.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why it was not advertised, but BestBuy has 5s's on sale for $124 with a new 2 year contract. I was there yesterday (12-17-13)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

It makes you wonder why it's even being mentioned so much. Imore says it's not for you. It's not for them. It's not for the usual bloggers who review macs. We don't see reviews of dell workstations so much either in consumer focused blogs. So why bother mentioning it?

But it is cute seeing the snark when consumers ask basic questions about whether it's good for gaming (a basic consumer want in a computer). No. It's a Mac Pro. Don't you understand what this is or who it's for? Lol. Perhaps most don't. But I'd blame that on Apple, apple sites, and marketing. It's a niche (enterprise level) product getting the same consumer level of marketing that their other products get.

Jailak

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I feel like every one of these threads and posts all over the internet is missing one crucial part of the New Mac Pro.

THE SIZE!!!

The New Mac Pro is at least 5 times smaller, probably even more than that of the Ebay link in the original post. To get those specs in that size is unheard of. If you can find a suitable alternative to the mac pro, at that size factor, with similar or better specs for a smaller price, You would literally be a legend. But seeing as nobody but Apple offers anywhere near the specs of the new mac pro in that size, you'd be VERY hard pressed to find that.

It's not even hard to customize either. You can go ahead and buy 16GB of RAM from Apple when you buy the computer and upgrade it whenever you want to 32GB or even 64GB from the many third party sources who are already stocking RAM compatible with the New Mac Pro. It might take some time before third party manufacturers have mac pro compatible flash storage but I have no doubt it will come. ifixit.com gave it a pretty formidable upgradability and repairability score of 8 during its teardown on their website.

The New Mac Pro is not designed to be "The very best specs for a decent price". It is marketed to be a small, easy to transport workstation for those who have intensive computing needs but limited desk space. The New Mac Pro is literally the example of what apple is all about. Better, smaller, easier to use. Notice how all their laptops, every year become thinner and lighter while still increasing performance. Another thing to do is to find a similar spec'd laptop with the size and weight of an apple macbook. Bet you'd be searching for a while because it is pretty difficult to do.

Did Apple not recently release a new iPad called iPad Air. Do I need to give any more examples?

If you can find me a computer with the same specs, same size, and same weight, for the same or cheaper price, while not sacrificing performance to overheating, please feel free to show me and I will take back all I have said.

I hope this quashed any ideas that Mac is overpriced simply because of the specs. You buy Mac not simply for specs, you buy it because you know something others don't.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The new Mac Pro (base version) will start selling at $2999 (probably much more here). So what do you get for that money? Here:

3.7 Quad Core Intel Xeon E5-1620 V2.
12 GB of DDR3 RAM.
2x AMD FirePro D300 (2 GB GDDR5 VRAM Each)
256 GB SSD
802.11a/b/g/n/ac up to 1.3 Gbit
No optical drive
No parts changeable, except the RAM.

So, that looks pretty good, right? Check out this link from eBay:
Asus Z87 Deluxe i7 4770K 3 5GHz H80I GTX780 Plextor 256G SSD 32GB RAM | eBay

It is $4 cheaper, and it has higher specs.

Sorry if that offended you, Apple fans.

I thought the same as you but if you look at all the reviews of the laptops you will see that apple always ranks the highest! also the build quality is far superior to any other device on the market.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The new Mac Pro (base version) will start selling at $2999 (probably much more here). So what do you get for that money? Here:

12 GB of DDR3 RAM.
256 GB SSD
No optical drive

and you’re stuck running Windows. #yuck #nothanks

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

12 GB of DDR3 RAM.
256 GB SSD
No optical drive

I thought the same until I tried one out! It is worth every penny you spend just compare reviews on other laptops and you will see that the macbook pro reigns number 1.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
you buy it because you know something others don't.

I love how emotional you get about something you probably don't own. Beside the emotion, you seemed to have a point, but your last rhetoric was what caught my attention..! What is it you get to know as a Mac Pro owner?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner