Why is it so overpriced?

Iosnation

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The new Mac Pro (base version) will start selling at $2999 (probably much more here). So what do you get for that money? Here:

3.7 Quad Core Intel Xeon E5-1620 V2.
12 GB of DDR3 RAM.
2x AMD FirePro D300 (2 GB GDDR5 VRAM Each)
256 GB SSD
802.11a/b/g/n/ac up to 1.3 Gbit
No optical drive
No parts changeable, except the RAM.

So, that looks pretty good, right? Check out this link from eBay:
Asus Z87 Deluxe i7 4770K 3 5GHz H80I GTX780 Plextor 256G SSD 32GB RAM | eBay

It is $4 cheaper, and it has higher specs.

Sorry if that offended you, Apple fans.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The new Mac Pro (base version) will start selling at $2999 (probably much more here). So what do you get for that money? Here:

12 GB of DDR3 RAM.
256 GB SSD
No optical drive

No one will get offended by your post or question. Having said that, those of us who have been using electronics for many years have long concluded that specs alone do not make for a better user experience. Just like when I used to build PCs for people back in the 90's and early 2000's, it was only as fast as the slowest part. People used to ask why their overly spec'd PC with an integrated video card was lagging in comparison to a moderately spec'd alternative with a dedicated video card. Besides, price is ultimately determined by how much the customers are willing to pay.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Of course its not worth 2999.00..... I can purchase the raw materials to build 300 mac books for half the price! you pay for the idea, the technology, and the labor involved with putting this thing into operation. we pay 800.00 for an iphone 5s, something that's worth probably 45.00 in materials if that. the software and year worth of planning, prepping and paying staff to get this technology ready is why your paying 2999.00

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Of course its not worth 2999.00..... I can purchase the raw materials to build 300 mac books for half the price! you pay for the idea, the technology, and the labor involved with putting this thing into operation. we pay 800.00 for an iphone 5s, something that's worth probably 45.00 in materials if that. the software and year worth of planning, prepping and paying staff to get this technology ready is why your paying 2999.00

iPhone 5S bill of materials has been pegged at about $200. But you point is well taken. I’d also guess that the bom cost for the to be much less than the $3000 price tag... but there’s the cost of all of the R&D, manufacturing, etc to consider... and of course there is Apple's profit, which is largely the issue at hand in this thread.

Groundbreaking iPhone 5s Carries $199 BOM and Manufacturing Cost, IHS Teardown Reveals - IHS iSuppli’s® Teardown portal provides deeper insights into bill of materials, BOM cost, photo analysis and graphical representation of electronics. To learn

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What is not included in the BOM, but is in the price, is overhead. Overhead being marketing, R&D, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

12 GB of DDR3 RAM.
256 GB SSD
No optical drive

Is the Storm Trooper included? Or extra?

#Naked Tuesday

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
To consider something "overpriced" one must first establish an average value for a device of this nature. Specs, build quality, software, customer service and support, overall ownership experience... Etc etc

So what is the average price for something with a comparable set of qualities to the Mac Pro?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Specs don't really matter now a days except to boost your ego ..
This isn't 1998 when Ram CPU and video cards were what defined your performance.
I mean how is it the 5s and now Ipad Air only pushing the mighty 1gb of ram is out shining everyone ???
It's software and you pay for the Guys at apple who wrote it and designed it and made the hardware to compliment it.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
For what you're getting I'd say the Pro isn't really that overpriced if you're going to put up that comparison. Apple's products are well made, from what I've experienced. I have no idea what Asus is, nor would I believe them to be on par. Plus, as someone already mentioned, you get Windows 8 with it and not Mavericks. That alone is reason for me not to get it, let alone the other large amount of problems you'll have to deal with I'm sure. If I were in the market, I'd definitely get the Pro.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Karenkcoulter captured the key differentiator here. The Pro page on Apple's site mentions "pro" numerous times. This system is designed for those who need the computational horsepower for video rendering, simulations, engineering, and scientific related apps and tasks.

Yes, the Pro is expensive compared to consumer (Non-Pro) systems. Looking at it from a productivity standpoint the Pro's Overview pages give good examples for how much more work this system can do in the same amount of time compared to prior generation. For organizations, this translates into greater productivity, shorter time to market, and answers to problems sooner than before. In general I think this translates into a good return on investment from a business and personal level for those that rely upon systems like the Pro for their livelihood.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
For what you're getting I'd say the Pro isn't really that overpriced if you're going to put up that comparison. Apple's products are well made, from what I've experienced. I have no idea what Asus is, nor would I believe them to be on par. Plus, as someone already mentioned, you get Windows 8 with it and not Mavericks. That alone is reason for me not to get it, let alone the other large amount of problems you'll have to deal with I'm sure. If I were in the market, I'd definitely get the Pro.

Asus is a manufacturer from Taiwan that produces some excellent tech. Among the various feathers in their cap, they've done up the Nexus 7 for Google (arguably one of the best Android tablets) and they started the whole Netbook thing with the EeePC several years ago. Their build quality isn't the same as Apple's...but then no one's is. The amount of money Apple spends on R&D for things like case aesthetics is nuts compared to every other tech company out there.

Agree w/you that it really isn't overpriced. I am happy to have the price of the OS rolled into my hardware purchase rather than subsidized via crapware (although I'd like to hope that at $3k you wouldn't have to bother with a clean install...but I would probably want Linux anyway)

Iosnation

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Does that Asus piece of kit run OSX Mavericks?
No, but you can install it to make it a Hackintosh.
If you want the Asus, then buy it. None of us care.
I don't want to buy anything. My point of starting this thread is because I thought it was not really worth the money.
To consider something "overpriced" one must first establish an average value for a device of this nature. Specs, build quality, software, customer service and support, overall ownership experience... Etc etc

So what is the average price for something with a comparable set of qualities to the Mac Pro?
I want to say... $2500?

Last edited:

BradleyKelly

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
My point may have been said but when you purchase apple it isn't about the spec its the operating system that sells it the most for me personally. however I wont be buying it as my Laptop and MacBook are doing me well however it is nice to see apple still changing the market even now.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It should be compared to what it is: a workstation and not some consumer grade toy. Would you compare and Dell server to an Mac Mini with osx server? I think not.

There is also the resale value to look at. Apple products maintain high resale values.

If I wasn't on the move so much I would get one of these for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

Iosnation

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
@BradleyKelly I don't think the operating system makes it expensive because in the last Apple special event in October they said Mavericks will be free.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
They can say the OS is free but we're still eating the R&D for it on the price of the computers and legally you still have to buy an Apple computer to get the OS. All the exclusive software is part of the reason Macs cost more vs non - Apple machines.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

BradleyKelly

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
You get me wrong i think the fact that it has that os means more people see it as a better system as lets be serious for productivity which this system has been made for btw Mac osx is far better then window.