RAM Upgrade on a 2018 I7 Mac Mini - Apple won't do it???!!!!

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I just got off the phone with 2 Apple stores and 2 levels of Tech Support. I was just trying to get a ball park figure to upgrade my 2018 I7 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM to 16GB or 32GB, depending on the price. I just wanted to know a general figure. I am not desperate, but it would be nice. Well, as I couldn't get an answer at the first store that I called, they switched me to Apple Tech Support. He assured me the he couldn't directly give me a price, but offered to call the store for me. They couldn't give him an answer either. So, I suggested he call a larger store, the largest in the area. he couldn't get an answer from them either and they basically hanged up on him! He was getting very frustrated as they told him they don't do that. He said, I have the info in my hands and yes you do. They didn't like that.

So he escalated my call higher up. The person I spoke to called the store manager and apparently, once you take the Mac Mini home, they won't upgrade it. "Contact an Apple Authorized Service Center". I asked the Tech Support rep - aren't they Apple service? Won't they fix my Mac? The response - Fix Yes, Upgrade, NO.

So, I have a recent model Mac Mini that I like, but I would like to have the RAM upgraded. Apple Stores won't do it! Suggestions on where to go? I will try other locations in the Chicago suburbs, but I was wondering if there was a reliable place that I could send it to. Someone with experience in upgrading a Mac Mini

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I just got off the phone with 2 Apple stores and 2 levels of Tech Support. I was just trying to get a ball park figure to upgrade my 2018 I7 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM to 16GB or 32GB, depending on the price. I just wanted to know a general figure. I am not desperate, but it would be nice. Well, as I couldn't get an answer at the first store that I called, they switched me to Apple Tech Support. He assured me the he couldn't directly give me a price, but offered to call the store for me. They couldn't give him an answer either. So, I suggested he call a larger store, the largest in the area. he couldn't get an answer from them either and they basically hanged up on him! He was getting very frustrated as they told him they don't do that. He said, I have the info in my hands and yes you do. They didn't like that.

So he escalated my call higher up. The person I spoke to called the store manager and apparently, once you take the Mac Mini home, they won't upgrade it. "Contact an Apple Authorized Service Center". I asked the Tech Support rep - aren't they Apple service? Won't they fix my Mac? The response - Fix Yes, Upgrade, NO.

So, I have a recent model Mac Mini that I like, but I would like to have the RAM upgraded. Apple Stores won't do it! Suggestions on where to go? I will try other locations in the Chicago suburbs, but I was wondering if there was a reliable place that I could send it to. Someone with experience in upgrading a Mac Mini

Interesting. When Looking at Apple’s website under support for the Mac Mini 2018, it says:

“Mac mini (2018) does not have user-installable RAM. You can configure the memory in your Mac mini (2018) when you purchase it. To upgrade the memory in your Mac mini (2018), go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
RAM availability varies by country and region.”

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205041

https://locate.apple.com/

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Interesting. When Looking at Apple’s website under support for the Mac Mini 2018, it says:

“Mac mini (2018) does not have user-installable RAM. You can configure the memory in your Mac mini (2018) when you purchase it. To upgrade the memory in your Mac mini (2018), go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
RAM availability varies by country and region.”

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205041

Yes. That is what it says and the nice fellow in Tech Support, with that document in hand, tried to assure the people in the store, Yes, you do. It says it right here." At one point, one store more or less hung up on him! He couldn't explain it and neither could the senior tech support rep above him. They gave me a location to contact, but that store said I had to bring it in before they would quote me. Since they are 45 minutes to an hour away and I don't even have a ball park figure, I declined. But I am amazed and so were the Tech Support people. I said I am beginning to lose my faith in Apple and the one rep said "So am I." He was amazed and couldn't explain it.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I don’t have an Apple Store near by me, though I have an Apple Service Center right in my neighborhood. Looking online though, there are lots of websites that show how to replace the RAM oneself. I am the kind of person who would just replace it myself and save the money. Good luck finding a good Apple Service Center near you.

It seems a little complicated to replace the RAM, though I found this guide that looks not too bad to me.

https://www.trunghoangphotography.com/for-photographers/how-to-replace-the-ram-in-a-2018-mac-mini

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I don’t have an Apple Store near by me, though I have an Apple Service Center right in my neighborhood. Looking online though, there are lots of websites that show how to replace the RAM oneself. I am the kind of person who would just replace it myself and save the money. Good luck finding a good Apple Service Center near you.

It seems a little complicated to replace the RAM, though I found this guide that looks not too bad to me.

https://www.trunghoangphotography.com/for-photographers/how-to-replace-the-ram-in-a-2018-mac-mini

Yep, you basically have to remove the motherboard to get to the ram. I've done it once. Very high pucker factor.

Here's a YT walkthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQq4hLKv1Cc

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Yep, you basically have to remove the motherboard to get to the ram. I've done it once. Very high pucker factor.

Here's a YT walkthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQq4hLKv1Cc

Thanks. Yes, I will likely replace it myself. Normally I wouldn't bat an eyelash as I have had decades of experience with hardware upgrades. But I have watched several versions of the videos to replace it. Some had no issues. Some had issues with the small connector with the 2 wires. One couldn't get it off and pulled the wires out of the connector. Another had problems with the fan connector. I figured that if I had Apple do it, if the price was manageable, then they would be responsible. And I was hoping that there would have been someone that had done this routinely. But with their response, I will likely do it myself and just be careful. I just figured that as long as you had wheelbarrows full of cash with you, Apple would do whatever you needed and essentially that was the viewpoint of the Tech Support rep I spoke to (he didn't mention wheelbarrows). But if they don't want to, I will do it and just be careful. I have saved the video that I thought gave me the clearest view of the problem connectors.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the 2018 Mac Mini almost solely for the reason that RAM was upgradable (rare in recent Mac devices when RAMs are usually soldered). It is a relatively easy process to get to the RAM. If my memory serves me right, you need a pentalobe screw which you could get from Amazon or iFix people etc. to get inside the case. I paid $100 or so for a set of 16GB ram with exactly the same spect Apple listed. Selling memory chips is a cash cow for Apple and that's why you were hassled around. It does not matter if it's phone or laptop. Apple buy memory chips at very low price in commodity market (those chips are commodity), slap them in their device at very very high price for a "pure" profit. I was actually surprised when I learned that RAM was upgradable for 2018 Mac Mini. That's the only reason I bought it right away. Now with 32GB RAM, it's humming along extremely well. Good luck. It's an easy task (as it should be like in old days).

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Just a note: I believe Apple warranty becomes invalid once you opened the case. However, when my friend needed the service other than RAM, he took the RAM out, installed the original ones and brought it to an authorized repair shop and that was it.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2